Chapter 4

Jacqueline's POV

"Perhaps this isn't the best idea." I murmured as Skye opened a portal to the Underworld. 

"Pfft, it'll be fine!" Jasper waved my concern away.

"You saw what he did to him!" Memories of lava encrusted flesh burned through my mind. Jasper's smile didn't reach his eyes. 

"Do you truly think Bal can do anything to him now?" 

I gripped my elbows as a shudder went through me. Gulping down my doubts I followed my brother and Skye into the Land of Demons. What if Bal could? I knew I was the only one who could feel the heart beating within Skye's chest.  My desire to prolong the inevitable was dashed as Bal Shadowend was waiting for us. I turned to my brother with wide eyes. 

"You called him here?" I slapped his forearm. Wincing, he grabbed his arm and stepped away from me. 

"Of course I did!" 

Skye's muscles tensed as he faced Bal. I bit my bottom lip as Bal bowed to each of us in turn. 

"Master, son, my lady." Bal winked at me and I rolled my eyes. Skye's posture straightened and he stepped a little in front of me, blocking my presence from Bal. A single eyebrow raised in response before Bal stood from his bow. 

"Bal, buddy!" Jasper and Bal gripped forearms and then slapped each other's hands in different ways. I didn't keep up with their secret handshake. Instead I watched Skye's back. His obsidian hair had grown into an unkempt mess. Purple-tinged blue eyes glanced at me for a mere moment before returning to the demon in front of us. Jasper gripped Bal's shoulders and faced him toward Skye. 

"Bal, if I may introduce to you--"

"Skye Firebird." Bal's interruption stung Jasper. 

"Excuse you?"

"Oh sorry, sorry." Bal lifted his hands in front of his chest.  "I meant Ambrianna's son." He smirked. Jasper's face grew more annoyed as Bal continued. "You know, the one you wished was your son?" 

"Shut up." Jasper slapped his arm and Bal grimaced in pain. 

"Alright, alright." 

"In ANY case," I budged in, "we are here to introduce you to our newest addition. Skye Firebird, God of Death." 

"God of Death, eh?" Bal sized him up. "So, you won't be seeing us for a while."

"Why? Do Demons not die?" Skye's challenging tone wasn't missed.

"No, we die." Bal smirked. "Just less than elves."

"Elves are immortal." Skye scoffed.

"That's actually just a myth." Heads turned towards me once again. "Elves usually live for one and half thousand years." I smiled. "Much longer life than humans, but still not immortal." 

"And Demons?" Skye's curt tone snagged my response. 

"Uh, they live for three thousand years. Only." 

Bal smirked and returned his attention back to Skye. "As I was saying, there's really no need for you to be here."

Skye's veins were nearly visible, but he exhaled deeply. The gears were turning in his head, but I didn't have the slightest clue as to what was rolling through it. 

"Visiting you is a necessity." His tone turned sickly sweet. I cringed. Pleasantness didn't come naturally to him. My hand found it's way onto his arm. "Bal Shadowend, I am here as a new God to enforce your worship and praise." Deep caverns coated with ice boomed from his throat. At least he got rid of the sick pleasantness. 

Bal's eyes turned to fire within his skull. Dark lava began to form around his arms and back hardening when contacting his skin. Hot steam whistled through the cracks.

 "At least that's what they want me to say." Skye unbuckled his sheath and leaned his sword against the nearest boulder. Bal's steam immediately ceased and all eyes watched the God of Death face the Demon Lord. "I know you worship two deities only. Jasper, your creator and Jacqueline, your life breath. I for one am quite glad that I won't have to visit this place again. However," Skye's face darkened. "Nero, the Father of Gods, is the one who has been kidnapping your people."

What are you doing? You're just going to get him mad! Fear extinguished my desire to slap myself or him. 

"My only thought is, what are you going to do now?" Skye sat on the boulder beside his sword. 

"There's nothing we can do against the Father of Gods."

"I fought the monster and still live. Why can't you?" 

Skye, what are you doing?

Bal's eyes were wide with wonder and then turned to slits, "What are you joking around for?"

"It's true." Jasper's voice intermingled with my own. We smiled at each other before I stepped back and let Jasper tell the tale. 

"We gave him the power of a Demigod and he became the God of Death. Not sure how it happened, but he was not created by Nero-at least not alone. He challenged Nero and won."

"Then Nero is dead?"

"No." Skye intervened. "The coward ran." 

"This past fortnight more of my people have been lost. Kidnapped as you would have me believe. If it is Nero, The God of Gods, then it makes sense why I haven't found any sort of clue as to their whereabouts."

Skye turned toward me. "We need to protect this area in particular." I nodded in agreement. 

"He is a God! He can enter whenever he wants!" Spittle flew from Bal's mouth. 

"That was quite the problem," my voice returned with utter confidence. "when I was the ruler of this realm. My father created me and so I could not outright defy him. However, with Skye as the God of Death...The Underworld is His domain now." Sadness engulfed me and a single tear fled from my left eye. I inhaled deeply. "If He can Challenge him without dying and without becoming mortal, he can protect this land from the clutches of our father." 

"So your plan is to make it so we NEED to follow you." Bal stated as calm as the raging sea. Calm as a perfect summer's day, Skye nodded with a smirk. 

"Good to have you on my side, ShadowEnd."