Chapter 5

Jacqueline's POV

"That could have gone better." I stated as Skye, Jasper, and I entered Nexus.

"Really?" Jasper's eyebrows rose. Skye simply smirked at me. Butterflies fluttered in my bosom and I inhaled in an effort to knock them down.

"Yes, really!"

"What did you see? Because I saw Skye get Bal right where he wants him."

"Where I'd really like him is-"

"WE need to work on your people skills." I interrupted. "You're great at leading, but you are terrible at charming others."

Skye wrapped an arm around my waist and whispered, "So you say." Those butterflies came back tenfold and I pushed him away. Blood rushed through my body and I inhaled once again to disturb them.

"Listen to me!" I ordered. Skye stiffened instantly allowing me to continue. "You may be able to blackmail your way with the Demons, but you have no bargaining chip with the mortal races of Comwen. You will have to use your wits and charm to mount a Temple in your honor." I flipped my hair in his direction and he followed behind me.

"The Draconi won't be to hard though, they already worship him in their own little way." Jasper caught me off guard. Blood rushed to my face again. I forgot he was even with us.

"Dwarves, too." Skye mentioned nonchalantly as the two of them passed by me, fist bumping in the air. My eyes rolled as my annoyance sky rocketed.

"Well, great! That only leaves Nyle's people, the rest of Josephine's people, Nik's people, and my people!" I counted off my fingers, "3, 2, 4, and oh right! 8 more races! That leaves you with 17 more races to win the favor of!"

"Hey, hey, hey." Jasper threw an arm around my shoulder. "He doesn't need ALL of them."

"He's fighting Nero." I deadpanned.

Jasper's smile froze. He turned to Skye, "She's right. You need all of them."

Skye's lilac-tinged eyes turned to face us. "I will not grovel."

"I didn't say you had to."

"Then pray explain what you mean by be charming."

"She means, sweep the races off their feet." Jasper spun me around in some impressive dance moves. "Make the women swoon and the men kneel!"

"Get off of me!" I shoved my brother toward Skye and he sidestepped the sprawling limbs effectively allowing the nimble god to get up by himself.

"And how do you propose I do that?"

"Well, how did you become a captain?" Maybe I could teach him like this.

"I fought well and was friends with the general since we were squires."

"Yes! Make friends."

The way Skye's eyes can turn from one emotion to the other so fluidly was beyond my capabilities alone. My body seemed to not care whether he was mad, sad, or content. His eyes captivated me and my soul begged to be near him. I cleared my thoughts as best I could once annoyance flashed within his orbs.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"Did I really say something since no one here heard anything?" Skye growled. I glanced over at Jasper who was juggling a couple of pillows as we had entered my room. Jasper didn't even answer him. I closed my eyes and exhaled. At least I wasn't the only one. Skye's eyes rolled.

"I can make the men kneel easily."

"Your pride will get you killed."

An eyebrow raised in my direction. No! I was not going to cower to him. I kept my eyes forward. A small smile.

"Maybe so."

"So, it's the women you're after." Jasper chuckled darkly. My blood boiled as Skye threw an arm around him. My brows furrowed as he brought his head close to Jasper's and a few words were exchanged before Skye opened a portal to a desert and threw Jasper in.

"And now some peace." Skye turned toward me.

"That wasn't very nice you know!" Jasper shouted as he reentered my room.

"Get out!" Skye and I yelled. Jasper laughed as he let me slam the door on his behind. Skye wrapped his hand around mine. Dark pools of purple mixed with lighter shades of blue met my own eyes.

"I promise you, you're the only one for me."

"Don't make those kinds of promises before you know me."

"I do know you."

"Oh really?" It was my turn to raise an eyebrow.

"I know you're innocent. In love and in deed. I know your heart is wild and beautiful."

"How do you figure that?"

"One trek in the Underworld." The mention of my old home squished any romance that may have been in the air. I pulled my hand from his and wandered towards the window. "It's still your home, if you want it to be that is."

Maybe he did know me. I glanced at my reflection and then stared hard at it. My dark brown hair was a lighter shade and my tanned skin glowed a golden shade rather than a turquoise one. Wings shined a bright white with each perfect feather hanging behind me.

Since when did I have wings? And my eyes. My lilac ringed eyes were now golden.

I hate gold.

I hated the reflection I saw.

This wasn't me. Who was this person?

"Are you okay?" Skye's voice brought me nearly back to the present.

"Do you see these wings?!" I screamed as I moved my shoulders back and forth. The wings moved effortlessly and gracefully with every movement.

"Umm..." Skye backed away slowly. "No."

"Are you serious?" I gaped at him. He had his hand on the doorknob. "They are right there!" I pointed that them, but Skye was already gone.

"Aghh!" I screamed in frustration. How did I not know they were there? What do I do with them? I blew a hair out of my face.

More importantly, was Skye going to gain enough followers by the time Nero gains his strength back? How do I live now? Where do I go, how can I help?

Will Skye end up saving Comwen from Nero?

Or will we be to late?