Chapter 3

This is the first time I've seen the house in person. Mom has already been here to help the movers, so she knows exactly what is where. I look around at the boxes on the floor, widely spread out. Nudging a box aside with my foot, I remember that I have to unpack tomorrow after school.

We didn't take a whole lot from Wyoming. Too much of it reminded us of them.

Both Mom and I were hoping for a new start in Beacon Hills. There were stares wherever we went and judgmental looks toward my mom. But both of us know we'd never escape their deaths.

Mom barrels past me, startling me out of my thoughts. Immediately, she grabs her computer out of her bag. She makes her way through the boxes and practically slaps the computer on the kitchen table.

I follow her, confused. "Wha- What are you doing?" I ask over her shoulder. I notice that it's a realtor website loading on her screen.

"I don't want to live in a place where homicidal teenagers are raving at a Sheriff's Station!" She yells at her computer screen. I force myself not to flinch back.

I set my hand on her shoulder. "Mom, I-I understand, but... but I like it here. The rest of the people seemed nice." I don't mention that I want to know what the lizard thing is and who the red-eyed guy is. "I'm sure that doesn't happen every day and that it'll get taken care of. D-Despite the homicidal teenagers, I think it could be good for us."

She glares hard at the computer screen for a moment. I hold my breath then she turns and smiles at me. "Alright, if you think we should stay... We will." Her body relaxes under my hand. I squeeze it gently and go upstairs.

After they died, I realized that we need each other. Mom and I made a promise to not lie to each other.

"Your room is the one on the left!" Mom hollers up from downstairs.

"Okay," I say. I don't know if she hears me.

At first, I was skeptical about leaving our car just sitting on the side of the road. Then, Mr. Stilinski explained how the tow truck would take care of it right away in the morning. I felt a bit better.

The room has bare grey walls with a slightly rough carpet. A mattress sits on the ground, but otherwise, there's nothing in the room.

I gingerly settle onto the mattress and the springs squeal beneath my weight. A sigh forces its way through my lips.

The last three months have been hard, and I'm glad Mom has been there with me.

Tears well up in my eyes thinking about it. I sniffle and force them back as best as I can.

The moonlight seeps in through the closed blinds and I realize how late it is. The clock on my phone says it's 3:30 a.m.

I had been hoping that we wouldn't get into the city so late, so I could have a semi-nice sleep before the first day of school. I understand why Mom wants me to go to school right away. Starting even later in the school year is not ideal.

With a huff of exasperation, I realize that I have no pillows or blankets. "Mom! Where is the bed stuff?"

"It's all down here!"

###

Groggily, I make my way down the steps. Normally, I wouldn't go downstairs right after waking up but we hadn't brought anything upstairs, yet.

Mom can be heard talking to someone in the kitchen. I yawn and stumble slightly over some boxes.

She ends the call right as I walk into the room. I'm too tired to bother asking who she was talking with on the phone.