Chapter 2

A cry erupts from my lips as the power goes out. Emergency lights turn on and sirens start screeching. I tighten my hold on my mom's ankle.

Rapid gunshots come from a different part of the building, still loud enough to make my ears hurt. I move as close as I can to the wall, eyes clenched shut.

There's the sound of glass shattering and of gun bullets hitting solid objects sounding throughout the building.

I try to block it out, but it doesn't work.

"Where is the mother?" A gruff voice comes from outside the bedroom.

"She isn't in the house." Another one responds.

"Where's the daughter?" The first one asks impatiently.

"I saw her, but then she was gone."

"Find her!"

###

Mr. Stilinski's grunts of exertion fill the room. He desperately tries pulling his arm down from the wall. The handcuffs refuse and he has already lost the fight. My mom sits down in defeat.

"Stop!" I cry out. I know he's not going to break out of the handcuffs, and he knows that. "There's no point hurting yourself if there's no reason to." My voice is soft, and I don't know if he can hear me. "Oh, God. I'm sorry."

"No, no. I think I got it." He speaks through grunts.

"Come one, come one. Come on." Both my mom and the other woman are encouraging him on.

I can't bring myself to watch him, so I look otherwhere. I notice Gorgeous Boy laying on the floor, crawling around the corner and my eyes widen. There's a loud grunt and I can't help but look over as Mr. Stilinski pries the handcuff holder off the wall.

A tearful smile pushes itself onto my face, but it quickly disappears when I see Matt walking over.

"No!" I yell as Matt cracks Mr. Stilinski on the back of the head. Instantly, Mr. Stilinski falls to the floor.

"Matt? Matt, please, listen to me." The woman cries out. He walks over to her, quickly glancing at Mr. Stilinski's body. "My son has been shot, and I've heard other gunfire, and I don't know what's happening, but can you please just let me see my son?"

My heart shatters at the sound of her voice.

"How totally clueless are you people?" Matt asks the air.

There's a scuffle near the door. I turn with wide eyes and see a man walk in. His red eyes shine in the dark haze of the room.

I screech and squish myself closer to the wall. An inhuman growl sounds from the man. Matt breathes heavily. My mom reached her hand down and grabs my shoulder tightly.

A hiss comes from my left. I turn and see a reptilian figure makes its way into the room. I freeze in terror. Red Eyes growls and charges at the lizard thing.

I can only watch the fight in front of me, unable to move.

A chair gets thrown my way and I don't even flinch when it connects with my ankle.

Red Eyes flies behind the desk, and the lizard moves to the cell holding the woman. A blur of green comes out of nowhere and throws the thing down onto the ground. He crouches in front of the cell bars and Green Shirt's mom gasps.

"Scott. Scott, are you okay?" She asks him.

There's another roar as Red Eyes leaps up from behind the desk.