Love is Sex

MERCY IMMEDIATELY exited the hall as soon as the boring and lethargic GST lecturer was done with his lecture. That was the last for the day. She had had series of lectures from eight o'clock in the morning till four in the evening without recess. She was fagged out; her head throbbed. Was this how all week days were going to pan out for her? She thought exasperatedly. She definitely wouldn't keep up. She needed time for herself. For people. She needed to have some fun. The plan wasn't to spend most of the day in a crowded hall trying to make out what the lecturer was saying coupled with the deafening noise of the mass of students like they were in the market place; the lecturers completely indifferent, and then after long hours, leave the lecture hall thinking of the tons of assignments that was to be done. This was obviously not the life she had come to live. 

"Hey!" A guy whose name was Lee ran up to Mercy as she was walking tiredly back to her hostel. Light and fresh skinned, almost closed-set eyes which were covered with black rimmed glasses like a nerd and a short curly hair— he looked Asian. He was five feet two tall just like Mercy and that was short for a guy, so she thought. She hadn't seen him before let alone known him, so she wondered what he wanted from her. 

"Hi." She said dryly and kept walking. 

"I'm Lee and I'm a fresher just like you." He sounded like a typical Nigerian, to Mercy's surprise. 

Mercy looked at him amusedly. He was dressed casually. She thought he looked quite young for university and very boring to catch her fancy. "First of all, are you from any Asian country and secondly, how do you know I'm a fresher?"

He chuckled. "I saw you looking so bored in the GST class and no, I'm Nigerian. But I was born in Korean because my dad is Korean and he wanted me to be given birth to over there. I spent my toddler days there but when my dad passed on, we moved here to the giant of Africa!" He said the last part with so much pride. 

"Hmm, a patriotic citizen we've got there. Anyway, I'm sorry about your dad."

"No problem. It's been a long time ago."

"Oh. Can you speak Korean though?"

"No, not at all. I know very little about their language and culture. My mum is a typical Yoruba woman and she doesn't understand Korean so she speaks only Yoruba to me."

Mercy wondered why he had to give detailed answers. She really wasn't interested in being friends with him. He looked too nerdy for her and she didn't like nerdy. 

"Oh okay." She said curtly like she wanted to end the conversation there. 

Lee didn't want to end the conversation anytime soon so he said, "So uh, what course are you here for?"

"International relation."

"Hmm, sounds cool."

"Uh-huh." Mercy nodded her head smugly. 

"Did jamb give you the course?" He chuckled as he asked, "Or you chose it yourself?"

Mercy furrowed her brows as she snorted in a chuckle. "You're funny. No, jamb didn't give me. I chose the course."

"Well many people in Nigeria universities study a course that was given to them by jamb."

"Yeah, I know, right? Those that don't meet up to the requirements of the course they want to study. So you, what category do you fall under? The category of those that jamb gave courses or the ones that are studying the course they want?"

"The latter. I'm studying computer science."

Mercy snorted. "You don't say!"

"Why?"