THREE

Lee Donghae.

My heart started to beat a thousand times faster. I really didn’t expect to see him here.

He was wearing a black suit, his hair was the usual fringe but now it had a little style to it. On his right arm was a silver watch and on his left arm was a girl’s hand clutched to him.

My heart broke into pieces as I saw Donghae with another girl.

I hid from them, and as I kept my gaze, I’ve realized that the girl was Park Gyuri. Well, what could I expect from the years he was gone? Five years was a long time and it was inevitable for him to meet other people. Gyuri and Donghae must’ve gotten back together.

All along, ever since that day Donghae knocked on my door, I knew his feelings for Gyuri wouldn’t be erased.

The both of them were talking to some colleagues. They were laughing, telling stories, Donghae looked really happy. My attempt of silently escaping failed, the strap of my bag was caught in one of the brushes. People started to look at me and my tears fell more unknowingly, I pulled it away from the branch, making my purse’s strap snap into two. I accidentally tripped a bit and Donghae noticed me. In a split second, his eyes met mine. Those eyes of him that I could never get tired of staring into; I looked away and paced my steps away.

I sobbed silently and every noise around me turned mute. All the chatter, all the laughs, the music, it deafened me. My head was spinning and I wanted to vanish from this place.

Finally, I’ve reached the hotel’s exit. Not much people were around, but I bumped into someone and without looking at the stranger’s face, I apologized, my voice was a bit weary. But the person I bumped into held on my shoulders and lifted my chin up.

It was Leeteuk. He looked at me perplexed, I tried to hide the tears but my eyes had its own mind.

“What happened?” Leeteuk looked worried, I sobbed and still didn’t answer. The both of us still stood there so silently.

All of a sudden, I heard Donghae’s voice calling me. He called out my name and stopped close to where we were standing. His eyes got teary; he tried to catch his breath. It was like the scene from when he knocked on my door that very night Gyuri and him broke up, but now, I was precise to know that those were really tears slowly travelling from his eyes. The problem was, I wasn’t sure if those tears were true or just fake. He called out my name once again and eventually, I faced him.

“Please, listen to me.” He pleaded; he went closer to me and held my hand in both of his hands. I stood still like a mannequin.

‘Exchange smiles at least.’ Leeteuk’s words from before echoed in my mind, and that’s what I did. I smiled at Donghae.

He sighed in relief but his expression went the opposite when I freed my hands from his and walked away. Leeteuk didn’t leave yet, instead, he slightly bowed to Donghae and went with me. Donghae shook his head and a tear fell from his eyes. I couldn’t stand seeing him like this. His gaze followed us as the both of us stepped into the car as soon as the valet came.

***

“I’m sorry, it didn’t have to be this way.” Leeteuk said as he drove silently. He wanted to lighten the atmosphere but he had no idea how to.

“No, it’s alright. At least I know that Gyuri and Donghae’s together again.” I forced a smile and wiped away my tears. Leeteuk had no comment, instead he took a U-turn and drifted back, the tires made a loud screech and I held onto my seatbelt tightly. He accelerated the car as his eyes were glued to the road once again. I was confused on why we turned back; it almost gave me a heart attack.