FIVE

It’s been exactly one month since Leeteuk’s strange disappearance and that night when Donghae proposed. I wonder where Leeteuk went; I never got to thank him.

“We’re here.” Donghae parked the car and smiled sweetly at me. He stared into my eyes. He pecked my lips and my cheeks flushed in crimson. He chuckled and got out of the car to open the door for me. I sat down smiling while I looked my left hand, the engagement ring fit perfectly.

Like a gentleman he was, Donghae held out his hand after he opened the passenger’s door. I giggled and held his hand. Our hands were intertwined, like the pieces of a puzzle, they fit perfectly. I was glad to have him back.

The faint pink petals of the Cherry Blossoms fell down like snowflakes, covering the pavement with its silky petals. I no longer had questions running in my mind regarding whether all of this was real because at this moment, I was a hundred percent positive that everyone and everything around me existed. Donghae and I walked around a Memorial place for the Korean Military.

We were at an aisle where brown and black marble floors and structures could be seen. This was a place where all the memorabilia of all the men who served remained. Sad to say, some of them passed away while serving. As we walked, Donghae showed me the names of the friends he had met when he was there and how great and strong people they were. I held Donghae’s hand tighter as I read their names, feeling my heart drop a bit, I stopped walking.

Donghae looked at me and smiled gently.

“I’m here. I won’t leave anymore.” He assured, a snug smile painted on his lips, he wrapped me in a hug. My head was buried in his chest and I could hear the calm beat of his heart. I nodded as I wrapped my arms around him.

“I know, I’m just happy to have you back again.” I broke the hug and tightly held on his hand as we continued to stroll down the memorabilia with the soldiers’ pictures and names engraved in the dark marble.

After sauntering a few aisles, one picture caught my eye. I immediately looked at Donghae and he wore the same expression as me. The both of us were surprised at where our eyes landed.

It was a picture of Leeteuk.

My legs became weak and I felt like I was about to faint. My whole body trembled. His name was included in the lists of soldiers who have passed away.

“Are you alright?” Donghae hugged me tightly as my body grew limp, I was paralyzed. My arms were lifelessly dangling as Donghae kept me in his embrace. I could hear the rapid beating of his heart. I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

Was this a joke? This isn’t real, I told myself and Donghae slowly let go of me and tried to calm me down as I breathed heavily. He too was perplexed.

After a few seconds, I snapped back to reality and accepted the fact that this was existent. I’m here, this is happening, my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me.

Donghae guided me to where Leeteuk’s picture was. My hands were shaking a bit and tears fogged. I walked slowly to Leeteuk’s picture; Donghae was behind me and held on my shoulders. He shed a few tears. Leeteuk has been a really great friend for the both of us.

‘Park Jungsoo… a true friend and a noble hero’ his name was engraved on the smooth marble surface, a picture of him in his uniform just above it.

“2008… He… passed away 5 years ago?” Donghae and I couldn’t believe it. We looked at each other and I had goosebumps…

Ironically, back then, Leeteuk was the only thing I thought was true and was existent during those poignant moments when I’ve came to the preposterous idea that everything around me was completely fictional. But it turned out to be the other way around. He was just an angel.

I calmed myself down and Donghae intertwined his hand with mine. I smiled and looked at the sky; Donghae leaned and kissed my cheek.

“Leeteuk was an angel who brought us back together.” He smiled and pecked my lips once again. Donghae once told me that Leeteuk was a really great sunbae.

“Thank you Leeteuk… Thank you…” I smiled and said in my mind.

We walked back to the car, and as we were strolling, a girl holding a bouquet was going to where we had been, a strong feeling hit me and I looked at her face. She seemed too familiar.

“Oh Sunyoung?” I called out slowly. Donghae stopped walking as he felt me hold on his hand tighter.

“Yes?” She shyly turned around to face here. I bowed and slowly walked to her.

I remember what Leeteuk told me before… “When you see her, please give this to her”… his words echoed in my mind.

“Hello… I’m Leeteuk’s friend…” I bowed politely and her eyes misted with tears.

“Hello, I’m Oh Sunyoung.” She bowed as well. The atmosphere was a bit awkward.

“You were his girlfriend, right?” I reluctantly asked. She nodded slowly.

“I’m sorry to hear about what happened to him… But he told me to give you this since he never got to do so.” I got the ring from my pocket and safely handed it to her. She stared at the ring in her hand and looked back at me. She held the ring to her heart and sobbed.

“Th-thank you.” Tears uncontrollably fell from her eyes and sobbed. I smiled.

“He loves you very much.” I smiled, feeling tears well up. She nodded and hugged me tightly.

“Thank you… I love him too… so much…” She said once again. I bowed and smiled.

***

I felt better, everything was back to normal.

Today was the day. Seoul was stunning, the day was bright.

I smiled at Donghae who stood beside me at the church’s altar.

I was in a white dress, a dress by Oh Sunyoung.

Donghae looked dashingly handsome in his tuxedo and as the both of us exchanged vows, I felt butterflies in my stomach. But I was ultimately happy. This was the day I’ve been anticipating for and now it’s becoming a reality.

During the wedding reception, Donghae twirled me in synch with the music and I couldn’t be any happier than I am right now. He pecked my lips and smiled. I reflected the smile on his lips.

As I rested my chin on Donghae’s shoulder as we swayed to the Claude Debussy’s ‘Clair De Lune’, somewhere in the crowd, my eyes met a familiar dimpled smile.

END