Chapter 12

🦋
Blue's Dreams Prov:

This dinner was awkward. The creepy Prince Carter sat across from me, babbling with my father. My mother was not talking; she glanced at me sadly, shifting her food on her plate. I was fiddling with my new necklace, anxious to meet my real soulmate, Dante. Somehow, I convinced my stubborn father to leave this dinner early. I glanced at the old clock my grandfather gave my mother, ticking loudly closer behind Prince Carter, chewing on my bottom lip. It is almost time for me to leave.

"Blue?" My father calls me. I turn to him, smiling apologetically.

"Yes, father," I reply, looking down at my hands. I often wondered why my mother and I had powers, but my father didn't. He has a guardian who protects him, but that's it. Sometimes, he gets jealous when he sees my mother and I practice our powers, so we no longer do it in the castle. Sighing, I quickly took a peek at the ancient clock again. I needed to leave. This atmosphere made me tense, knowing my brother told me to stay away from this man. He did give me creepy vibes.

"Why don't you and Carter walk in your mother's garden?" My father suggests, grinning proudly at Prince Carter as if he were his son. Ha! He wishes! I gulp, glancing at Carter, who smiles politely at me. I return his smile but quickly look down at my finished plate. At least the food was delicious.

"Why? " My burst out. Curse my bluntness and not being able to read any situation. 

Carter coughs awkwardly while my father rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"Just go." My father says, slightly glaring at my apparent defiance. My eyes flash bright blue in anger at his challenge. He jumps a little, looking toward my mother for help. She nods, giving me a look I can't place.

"I think that's a wonderful idea." Mother says, forcing a smile on her face. She's hiding something—and I will find out what it is. For now, I will have to walk with this prince.

"Okay," I mutter, turning my attention to Prince Carter. "Let's go."

I get up from the large table and walk towards the double doors to leave. I look back to see Carter trailing behind me, placing his hand on the small of my back. I silently scold Akira for picking out my wardrobe. She claims I should look sexy for the prince and my soulmate. That resulted in me wearing a tight black dress and red heels, and my long blue hair was still warm from the hot curler. I wouldn't say I liked how he touched me, so I shuddered in disgust, swallowing my pride, and continued walking to my mother's sacred large garden.

We walked silently to the garden; my mind focused on one thing. I was seeing Dante. I have to find a way out of this troubling situation. Prince Carter had some redeeming qualities, but there was a better time to find out what they were.

Carter clears his throat, rubbing the back of his neck in awkwardness. I bite my cheek and turn back to him when he stops walking.

"So..." I start looking up at him, rocking my heels. "This is very awkward." 

He laughs, his green eyes sparkling under the moonlight. I would have said he was handsome if there wasn't something off about him. "It is quite awkward. Your father is very forward." He mumbles, making me giggle softly. He smiles, taking my small hand in his cold one. He looks down at me like I'm the only one for him. I gulp, blurting the first thing on my mind.