A snack that smiles back

I woke in the morning to gentle sun shining through the shuttered window, casting longs vibrant bars on the dark green wallpaper. I lay there in silence for a bit, absorbing all of what had happened last night. I blinked up at the popcorn ceiling, my hair lying around my head on the pillow.

I slowly sat up, mainly relying on my arms to bring me up. I fumbled with my bandages, taking out the now warm ice packs. I frowned at them.

I should put these back in the freezer.

I pulled on my jacket, cringing with every movement. sticking my beanie on my head, I shoved the ice packs into my hoodie pocket. Pressing a hand on the couch arm for support, I slowly stood. The clock read 10:24.

Dang. That's a new record.

Fidgeting with my ear, I stepped to the door of the room, my arm hugging my torso both out of pain and social awkwardness. I poked my head through the door, looking around. To my right was another door, probably Randy's room. Right across the narrow hallway from where I stood was a small closet, and to my left was a kitchen. I looked both ways.

No sign of Mr. Marccini. He's probably downstairs working at the restaurant.
Good.

I stepped out onto the creaky floorboards of the small hallway, my shoes clunking on the ground softly. I stepped through the white doorframe into the old kitchen, running a hand on the counter, just in case I needed to stop and take a second.

"You're not supposed to be up..!"

I jumped, grasping at my chest as it retorted in an outright fashion.

Mr.Marcinni set his hand on my shoulder hesitantly.

"I'm so sorry! I did not mean to frighten you...!"

I turned around to face him. He looked like he wasn't expecting me to be up and out.

He watched me as though I was an injured bird trying to fly. I simply held up one of the warm packets of gel.

"Ah. I can take those for you."

He reached out to take it, and I snatched it back towards me, shaking my head. I could do it myself, he's done enough for me. I turned, continuing towards the fridge on the other side of the room.

"Determined, Eh? Alright, fine. Who am I to keep you from helping a frail old man..." He retorted with mock weakness.

I looked at him over my shoulder, my face telling him 'i cAn TaKe cArE oF MySeLF'.

I reached the fridge, and stuck the icepacks on a shelf inside the mini freezer drawer. Wincing, I turned to lean on the counter.

He gave me a sympathetic look.

"You weren't supposed to leave the couch."

I shrugged.

"Yes, fine, alright. But don't do anything crazy. Like walk too much."

He sighed, contemplating. How was he going to keep this girl from hurting herself further, without giving her cabin fever?

He seemed to come to a resolution, placing his hands firmly on the counter.

"I obviously can't keep you on the couch, I'm assuming you get anxious."

I nodded truthfully, looking down at the speckled counter.

"So. I won't keep you on the couch. But I cant let you leave until we know you're going to heal ok. I would take you to an E.R., but we both know that would not end well..."

I tugged my beanie lower over my ears, noticing how Mr.Marccini seemed to fume up at the mention of mutant discrimination. It was curious.

I shrugged, pretending to blow it off. In all honesty, this whole situation had me jittery and anxious, my brain screaming at everything I did, telling me it was wrong. Of course, I knew better than that, I was doing just fine at socializing.

Am I though..?

Probably not.

I sighed out of frustration. What would I do just hanging around here? I had a false sense of alarm, seeing as normal I would have to take care of myself and Maria.

How is she doing, anyway?

She's probably fine, she's used to me leaving for extended periods of time.

Me and Mr.Marccini stood in silence for a bit, looking at anything but each other. There was weird smudge above the sink that looked like mustard. I squinted at it.

Is that mustard..?

I was skeptical of the mystery mustard smudge.

"Well"

My attention snapped back to Randy.

"Now that I know you're alright, I should go open the shop. Not that I get many customers.."

He shrugged.

"but there's always a chance."

He pointed to my temporary residence.

"I would like it if you gave yourself a rest, Patatina. It would sincerely put me at ease."

He looked at me like a concerned father. I avoided eye contact, suddenly feeling bad for not taking better care of myself.

"I will bring you breakfast and Advil if you do."

He said it like a bribe.

It was very effective.

I sighed, trudging back to the room as best I could without causing any self harm.

"Oh picolla!!! Thank you so much! There is a tv in the room, I will bring you a fried egg sandwich. You look like you want cheddar, maybe some-"

He trailed off happily, grabbing utensils and ingredients. I chuckled lightly, lowering myself down onto the couch. I reached for the remote on the oak end table. Examining the buttons, I tried to figure out how to use it. The closest I've gotten to working a tv remote was at a homeless shelter acouple blocks away. All the drunk people made me uncomfortable.

I bit my lip, closing one eye and holding the remote by my face. I aimed it at the small, boxy tv in the corner across the room to the couch before pressing the red button. It turned on with a bright flash.

FIRST TRY!!!!

I pumped a fist, silently celebrating my huge acheivement. It was surprisingly easy to work from there, and yet so difficult. Eventually I settled on a channel playing a cartoon about teenage superheroes. It had the stupidest comedy I'd ever heard.

It was perfect.