one.

a/n: in the parts that Shuhua speaks, the grammar might be a slightly off, since they're speaking in korean, and the korean=english in the dialogue...? i don't want to overdo it because it might be a bit cringy for you to read. her grammar will get better as the story goes on because her korean is improving w/ her studying + the members' help. i hope you enjoy the story ;)

———

"Hi, Shuhua! Have you finished training yet? It's getting late," Asked Lucas. The two of them were introduced a few months ago by Yuqi, a girl Shuhua trained with, and became inseparable friends.

"Yeah... I have to practise overtime because I still don't really know how to dance, haha. I'm sure I'll get better if I keep going. Wait, how long have you been waiting for me? It's past midnight," Shuhua said.

"Oh, just about an hour or something... anyway, I just wanted to, um, ask you something. Do you wanna go out tomorrow? I heard Han river's nice, and the weather's getting warmer..." Lucas was looking nervous and his face was turning slightly red. Shuhua didn't exactly understand why.

"Sure, but is Yuqi gonna be there? She might be getting a little jealous that we're such close friends." Shuhua smiled- it was the identical smile he had adored, yet it made his tear into pieces.

"Jealous? No, Yuqi isn't-" he muttered quietly, turning away from her, "I like you, Shuhua. I was asking you on a date."

Shuhua's eyes widened in shock, "What? Oh, I'm sorry Lucas... I don't like you that way, and I thought you and Yuqi were already dating..."

"Yuqi... Yuqi's gay, Shuhua. Also, If you didn't like me that way, you shouldn't have been sending me signals. You were just giving me the wrong idea!" The saddened look in his eyes seemed to turn into frustration, even anger, intimidating her a little.

"W-what signals? I never did that!"

"Whatever. It doesn't matter, we're over. But before I go, you should know that your actions have consequences. If you act like that to a 'friend' they will fall for you."

Lucas stomped away, leaving Shuhua with tears streaming down her face. She already acknowledged the fact that her flirty mannerisms caused problems a long time ago, since this happened to her way too much- nearly every friend she's ever made developed a crush on her or avoided her because they found her too clingy. So, Shuhua tried her absolute best to change her personality and she actually thought she was doing quite good with keeping the boundaries clear.

"Turns out I was wrong," she mumbled to herself, wiping her tears away with her sleeve. "Come on Shuhua, get over yourself already..."

——————— ❀ ———————

The next day, Shuhua groggily made her way to vocal practice. Her eyes were still red and puffy from crying and she wasn't in the mood for singing or dancing. She considered calling in sick, but she was too scared that would ruin her chances of debuting; she came all the way to Korea to achieve her dreams and she wasn't going to let herself give up.

As she reached the practice room, Shuhua heard someone in there, singing. She was intrigued- they were incredibly soft but powerful, delicate but strong, elegant but lively. Instantly drawn to it, Shuhua peeped through the glass door. She could see the figure of a female trainee, but didn't get a clear view and ended up going inside to find out who was in there.

Shuhua sat down on one of the chairs in the training room, and realised that she saw the trainee before- she spotted her on her first day at cube. The intense aura she gave off was unforgettable and every inch of her was flawless, she couldn't help but stare. 'Wow, she's so pretty. I wonder what it would feel like to be this perfect,' Shuhua wondered.

The girl soon noticed Shuhua's curious gaze towards her. She paused, and asked her, "Why are you looking at me?" Shuhua was puzzled because she had little knowledge on how to speak Korean. She moved to Korea recently and the foreign trainees were pretty much the only people she communicated with.

"Why...?" Said Shuhua, clearly confused. The trainee realised that she was a foreign trainee from the international auditions and asked her again in English, "Why. Why are you staring?"

Shuhua stayed silent, even though she knew what she was saying this time.

"Well... I'm Seo Soojin. You don't speak Korean, right?" Soojin said in Korean again, going slow so that she understood. "Do you want me to teach you?"

"Uh-huh," Shuhua said, "I'm Shuhua. Thank you, Soojin-nim!"

Soojin giggled, playfully ruffling Shuhua's hair. "You don't need to call me Soojin-nim. How old are you?"

"Umm, I'm-" she held out one finger, and then eight.

"Eighteen? I'm twenty so you can call me Soojin unnie. It's Korean for sister, but it's used when a younger person's speaking to an older person they're friends with."

Shuhua didn't understand: Soojin could tell by her expression.

"Just- call me unnie, okay?"

"Okay, Soojin unnie."

"Okay, Shuhua. Now, I'm so sorry but we both have to get back to training. Maybe I'll see you after dance practice?"

"Oh, you... can't. Shuhua's dance practice is really long."

"Really? When does it end?"

"I don't know time words in Korean. Very late, and very dark."

"So, do you stay behind after your schedule ends?"

"Yeah."

Soojin felt a pang of sympathy for Shuhua- she had to move to a strange new country, speak a language she didn't understand, and practised late at night, all alone.

"How about," she said, "I practise with you? I can help you if you want, dance is my specialty."

"You can, but I'm kinda... bad at dancing, so I don't know if you would be much help. Are you sure?

"I'm... sure. I'll see you at dance practice."

"Okay, unnie. Bye!"

Shuhua was feeling much better than she was that morning. Something about Soojin attracted Shuhua, pulling her in like a magnet. Her heart was beating in a way she never felt before and her stomach felt light and bouncy on the inside.

"Soojin unnie, huh."