Chapter 3: Second Day

Today was the day we will be fighting our second opponent. It was also the day we were supposed to get interviewed by the king-to-be. I was curious about what he looks like. All I knew was that he was 21-years-old. 3 years older than me. 

"Attention competitors," this stupid loud voice woke me up from my slumber sleep

"Attention competitors," this stupid loud voice woke me up from my slumber sleep."Today you will be getting interviewed before your second fight. Please report to the hallway where you were health-checked. You have half an hour."

Crap. I quickly got out of bed. I quickly got my toothbrush and toothpaste and went to the bathroom. I washed my face. I stared at the mirror. My eyes. The eyes that were once playful and happy. Now they were filled with the essence of nothing. Cold and emotionless. I really have to get my sh*t together. I looked at my watch. 10 minutes left. That was enough time for me to run there without being late. 

30 minutes later...

After awaiting my turn, I was surprised to see a woman awaiting me in a room instead of a 21-year-old looking guy like I was expecting. She looked 35-45 years of age though people nowadays age slower than back then. Her eyes reminded me of a woman who has been through all horrors of the world. I knew who she was. 

I curtsied. "Your majesty."

The queen said nothing. Just stared at me below her eye lashes. 

A few seconds passed..."Sit"

I sat on the chair across from her. A bowl of porridge sat in front of me. "Eat," she said expressionlessly.

Without doing what she asked, I leaned back against my chain. "No."

"No?" she said, a flash of amusement in her eyes.

"This is poisoned." I responded narrowing my eyes.

She stared at me for a moment, as if she just realized something about me. "Well, you're the first to pass this assignment." She snapped her fingers, a maid came in and took the bowl away, in replacement was a bowl of fruit. I could tell it was not poisoned judging by the smell.

The queen put her chin on her hands as her elbows rest on the table. "What is your name?"

I froze. I am more than sure that she knows what happened. Rumors spread fast around here.

"My name is Taryn," I said calmly. I didn't need to tell her my adoptive last name.

The queen nodded, a slight smile playing at her lips. At least I could delete her from the list of suspects I have for the person who murdered my friends. Her hair was a golden brown whilst the murderer's was dark red. 

"Why do you think you deserve the position to protect my son," the queen began.

I paused. " He is the king-to-be and I want to do what is right for the kingdom. I want to have a purpose for being here. If I have to die in order to fulfill it then be it."