Chapter 11: Result of Dread (Preview)

Taryn's POV

Taryn's POV

Flashback

"What's the prize Felissha was talking about?" my fourteen-year-old self asked my best friend.

Marisa's smile faded as the serious aura grew on her face. Looking to the left and to the right as if to check if anyone was listening in on us, Marisa leaned towards my ear and whispered loudly, "Legends say that the long line of Lafars was a gift from the council of Heaven above. "Lafar" was not exactly a last name but title for the warriors who received the power." Marisa put up two fingers on each hand to stand for quotation marks. I let out a small squeal as I saw a rat scurried from a hidden hole and past my foot.

Marisa chuckled. "I don't want the power."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Why?" I asked.

Her eyes suddenly glazed over, as if recalling a memory. "Nothing's ever for free." 

I nodded in agreement.

"There are many things that will affect you if you do get this "prize." Don't ever forget about the consequences our line had to suffer."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I glanced at the king and queen in confusion. According to them, not all of the kingdoms were agreeing to join forces.

"If we're going to win, we'll need all the four kingdoms," I murmured thoughtfully, glancing at the queen who had a grim expression on her face. 

She gave me a sad smile. "Unfortunately, both Alynthia and Zairn replied saying that they wanted no part in this war, thinking back to the previous one." I gave a little shudder. Sebastian's dad died in the previous war. News of a royal dying, not from old age, was very, very rare.

"Neutrals," Nate spat, clearly irritated. I frowned. Although I agreed with him that they were making a poor decision, he shouldn't insult them like that.

"Nate," I warned, scowling at him.

He looked glance back briefly with a suspicious glint in his eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, this is just a little preview. I will be publishing the entire chapter in the upcoming 3 days so keep your fingers crossed :) Thanks again to my supporters and readers and don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!