Chapter 2: Enemies

'Think that we don't see who you are?'

I pulled up to the small grocers and a smile instantly pulled at my lips. If Sal knew anything on the streets, he would tell me in a heartbeat. The store bell rang as I entered and the fat old man came rushing to the front from the back stock room. His eyes lit up as he saw me and he instantly shook my hand.

"Mr. De Rossi, what a pleasure to see you." He laughed happily. "What can I do for you, sir?"

"I was wondering if you had heard anything in the streets lately." I started.

"About?" He inquired.

"An assassin goes by the name The Reaper." I clarified.

"Ah, the one who killed the mobster, Gideon Krane." He nodded.

"You know about that?" I asked.

"Of course. People talk, especially in the streets. The Reaper is known for being the hero type." He shrugged, hoisting a crate of pomegranates onto the produce shelf.

"Hero type, how so?" Christian asked from behind me.

"Well, she's a very giving type. She gives back to those in need. Robin Hood-style. The money she makes on the hits, she likes to be generous with those she comes by." He smiled.

"You know her." I realized.

"She's a good kid. You'd never guess she was a killer." He admitted.

"I need to know who she is," I demanded.

"I would tell you but I can't." He sighed, picking up a pomegranate and examining it closely.

"Why?" I snapped

"She saved my life, no one rats on someone like that. As a mobster yourself, you know that code all too well."

"She saved you?" I was stunned.

"Dumb teenager came in one day, stuck a gun in my face asking for everything in the register. She walked in and had him disarmed and on the ground before a man could blink. I knew she was The Reaper then."

"Just from taking down some punk?"

"No, she had the same charisma. The Reaper is famous for being witty and a little playful with her kills. She was the same with the kid when she knocked him to the floor. I asked her after of course, seeing that she paid for her singular item with a fifty from a roll bigger than her hand. People around here don't make that kind of cash unless they are in the Misery Business." Sal explained.

"What did she buy?" I eyed him curiously. He chuckled and tossed the pomegranate into the air before catching it and holding it out to me. I took it from him and stared at it.

"She's the only person who comes into my store for them. I get them shipped in just for her." He smiled. "She's a good kid, Ace. Don't go doing anything mean to her now, you'll have the whole neighbourhood on your ass."

And he dumped the crate of fruit into the stand and walked back to the storage, whistling away. I turned the fruit over in my hand repeatedly. "Christian, I need a list of every female resident above the age of 16 in this neighbourhood."

The doorbell rang and we both turned to see a girl dressed in all black with a leather jacket strut into the store and grab a metal shopping basket.

"Hello boys, are we lost?" She asked, eyeing the two of us dressed in our Armani suits.

"No, just saying hello to an old friend," I answered curtly. She looked me up and down once more before rolling her eyes and moved past us.

"Where is Sal?" She asked, grabbing a package of grapes and setting them in her basket but not before popping two into her mouth.