Chapter 6: gucci linen

'They sayin I'm a problem yeah'

This house was nicer than any house of any mobster I had ever been in. Yes, I was never in a mafia house for more than thirty minutes but that didn't stop me from analyzing the estate from every angle.

Ace was not hurting for money in comparison to the other mobsters I had met. While I had never been one to dream of living the rich and lavish lifestyle, there was no denying that this was something I would gladly get used to. After spending years on the street and the rest in shitty apartments and motels, this was a nice change. I had accumulated the money to afford a place in the Cincinnati suburbs but there was something about the rundown parts of towns that held a special place in my heart and always pulled me back. Kathy and I could've stayed in a cute little bungalow but instead, we stayed in a cheap two-bedroom apartment in a sketchy part of the city. It made me feel more alive.

Upon entering the kitchen I was met by the curious stares of two women. One was short with grey hair and striking green eyes. The other was young, tall, and had slick blonde hair that sat in a perfect bun on top of her head. Her eyes were the same green as the older lady and her hands shook slightly as she observed me. It was Rosa and Mary Ann.

"Sup?" I grinned, strutting up and hopping into one of the white bar stools at the breakfast bar. Mary Ann continued to shake and Rosa glanced at her panicked daughter before turning to address me.

"Hello, Ms. Hunter. I'm Rosa Maroney. It's a pleasure to meet you and be of service." She smiled warmly. "This is my daughter, Mary Ann. She's shy but still just as happy to be of assistance to you."

"Nice to meet you too and please, call me Carson." I smiled. I leaned to the side to get a better look at Mary Ann and waved. She immediately looked away from me, her focus turning to prepare dinner.

"I don't bite, Mary." I chuckled, she was so tense. "Seriously, I'm a lot less of a dickbag compared to De Rossi."

Her eyes glanced at me for a moment before ignoring me again. I huffed in annoyance. I just wanted a friend, and she seemed pretty chill.

"I'm not a dickbag." Ace sneered as he finally entered the kitchen, his fists shoved into his pockets. The two maids bowed their heads as he entered and he nodded back as they continued to cook.

"You're right, you're much worse." I continued, twisting back and forth in my stool as he sat beside me. He shook his head and gripped my thigh, stopping my spinning.

"Do you ever sit still?" He mumbled in my ear, his lips brushing against my skin as he spoke. I suppressed the shiver that threatened to run down my spine and turned my head to face him.

"Nope. You always have to be moving, vigilant, fast on your toes and ready to dodge the impending bullet of your enemies." I replied, my hand gripping his knee. He tried to hide the slight flinch as I touched him, his shoulders tense. I let my fingers slide up and down the slick material of his slacks as we stared at each other. His grip tightened on my leg, his fingers digging in as a warning.

"Keep it up and you will be eating something very different than what Rosa has prepared." He growled, his teeth clenched together and his eyes dark with lust. I smirked and ran my tongue over the edge of my teeth, releasing my hand from his thigh and turning back to face the two maids as if nothing had happened. He squeezed my thigh harshly before also retracting his hand and folding his fingers together on the countertop before him. I glanced at him to see him scowling and his leg shaking slightly. I had right royally frustrated him and I couldn't hide my triumphant grin.

"I hope you like pasta, Ms. Hunter." Rosa smiled, dishing chicken fettuccini into two bowls and setting them before Ace and I.

"I love pasta," I assured her, quickly taking a bite of the creamy dish. I sighed in delight as the delicious sauce reminded me of when my mother used to cook for me as a child. "This slaps."