Chapter 3: Hit this hard

'I feel a change in the air tonight, I saw myself in a different light'

It was Saturday night, Kathy was determined to go out and stay out until dawn and I wanted nothing more than to stay inside where I was less likely to get jumped. I had made plenty of enemies in my life, specifically Mr. Gold, and the last thing I wanted to do was put Kathy in harm's way. I also didn't want to curb her fun and freedom. There was a fine line I was walking and right now it was as if I was trying to do it drunk; not possible to have the best of both sides.

I was in the middle of applying mascara when Kathy strutted into my room in a black mini skirt and a bright pink tube top. She had stolen my white leather jacket and had it slung over her shoulder with her phone in the other hand. Her blonde hair was up in a messy bun and her makeup was glittery and pink to go with her shirt. A pair of black strappy heels gave her small body an extra five inches and she had put in some sparkly diamond earrings. For a night out clubbing, she was very dressed up.

"You look like someone trying to pickpocket a drunk rich lawyer in the VIP section of a strip club." I teased, popping a piece of bubblegum in my mouth and chewing obnoxiously loud.

"And you look like a grade-A bitch." She grinned back. "I told you that dress made you look hot."

"I don't like colours, you know this." I sighed, examining the skin-tight, strapless, red dress that just covered my ass.

"But red makes everyone look sexy!" She giggled, rummaging through my closet and holding up two different pairs of heels. "I think open-toe would be cute."

"You're lucky I had a pedicure yesterday." I rolled my eyes and slipped on the black Louboutin's. I gave myself a once over in the mirror and nodded in approval.

"Alright, Kat. Let's get drunk." I smiled, flipping my leather jacket on and grabbing my keys.

"I'm so excited!" She squealed as I sped down the Cincinnati streets to the club across town.

"Just do me a favour and watch how many drinks you pack away. Your limit is four, otherwise, you will be near liver failure." I warned.

"Yeah yeah, I know, don't blackout, blah blah blah." She rolled her eyes. "Lighten up and have fun for one night!"

"Just this once." I agreed.

We pulled up to the club and I could already feel the music vibrating through my body from the parking lot. We made it right past security and Kathy immediately was whisked away by a buff, good-looking boy and I watched them dance from the other side of the room. I weaved my way through the dancing crowd and found an open space at the bar. I was just about to order when someone stood beside me and cleared their throat.

I glanced up and did a double-take. "Ace."

"Carson." He nodded, the sexy smirk gracing his face. "What brings you to this side of town?"

"Friend wanted to check out the new bar," I answered simply.

"Drink?" He offered, holding up his own glass.

"Sure." He waved the bartender over and he gave me a sly grin as he wiped down the bartop in front of me.

"What can I get you, beautiful?" The bartender asked.

"Stinger. Double brandy." I ordered.

"I would've taken you for a cosmopolitan type of girl." Ace teased, downing the last of his whiskey smash.