Chapter 7

Emilia sat cross-legged on the couch, waiting for the painkillers to work. Evan had given her a bottle of water to take the tablets with and she sipped from it as she waited for him. She could hear him from where she was sitting in the living room. He sounded rather angry with whoever he was talking to.

Eventually, Evan sat beside her. He was clenching his phone tightly in his hand. The screen was cracked and Emilia wondered how that had happened.
“You sounded angry,” she said, watching as he put his phone down on the table.
“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it,” he said with a shrug.

Emilia hummed and nodded, trying to decide on the best way to ask him about what he knew of her.
“What do you know about me?” she asked bluntly. She couldn’t think of any other way to ask.
“Your name is Emilia Russel, you moved in with your aunt about a month or so ago. You started going to Oak Park High,” he said, listing off the things he could remember. “You’re friends with my brother, Nathan, and according to him you joined the musical theatre club.”
“I did?” asked Emilia with a small smile. Evan nodded. “That sounds like something I’d do.”

Evan watched her for a moment before continuing to list the things he knew. “You take music, you’re taught by Mr Miranda. I used to be taught by him.”
“You did?” she asked, laughing a little. “How long ago was that?”
“How old do you think I am?”
“I don’t know,” said Emilia with a shrug.

“Well it was about seven or eight years ago,” he said, laughing a little.
“You’re like…” She trailed off as she tried to work it out. “Twenty-something. Twenty four?”
“Higher?”
“Twenty five?” she asked. Evan nodded and Emilia laughed a little. “Really?”
“Yes?” he said it like he was a question. Emilia laughed again but part of her was internally screaming.

The man in front of her was ten years older than her. Ten years. She was still fifteen, her birthday hadn’t happened yet.
“When’s your birthday?” she asked.
“Does it matter?”
“I was just curious,” Emilia said quietly. Maybe he didn’t like his birthday or something like that.

She looked away and looked around the living room. There was a fairly nice looking tv and a painting of the forest and mountains on the wall to her left. Next to the painting was a clock hung in the centre of the wall. It was almost twelve, it was almost midday.
“July 24th.”
Emilia looked back at him with wide eyes. She hadn’t been expecting an answer. “That’s your birthday?” He nodded.

“I need to work,” he said as he stood up and began walking to the door. “If you need snacks just see what’s in the fridge. I’m ordering takeout later, I don’t feel like cooking.”
Emilia stood up. “Wait, I-”
“What?” he asked, turning to look at her.
“My phone, it got left on the road, right?” asked Emilia. Evan nodded. “Does that mean they’re looking for me?”
“I don’t know,” he said honestly. “Maybe not yet, it hasn’t been a day. Maybe in a few days but worrying about that won’t help.”

Emilia felt the light mood sink around them. She couldn’t believe she was feeling disappointed in it.
“I’m trapped here,” she whispered. “I’m trapped here with no memory of the last three months and you’re the brother of a friend I can’t remember.”
Evan stared at her for a moment. “The doors are locked.” He turned and headed into a room across the hallway and Emilia felt her heart beating in her chest.

It was an odd feeling and it was definitely uncomfortable. Her chest felt tighter and she couldn’t breathe without her chest hurting. Was she panicking? She probably was but she couldn’t tell if this was a panic attack or if it was her heart problem.

Her heart problem.

She didn’t have any medication.

That was a problem.

Not sure what to do, Emilia sat back down on the couch and tried to take deep breaths. Emilia couldn’t bring herself to call out for help. She wouldn’t yell for her kidnapper to help her. The pain might pass.

Her shaky hand grabbed the water bottle off of the table and she fumbled to unscrew the cap. Taking a sip, she hoped the pain would pass soon.