Chapter 27

Kat wiped her eyes with one of the tissues from the box of them on the table before opening the door. Mr Miranda nervously stood close. Emilia copied her aunt and grabbed one of the tissues to wipe her eyes with.

“Katherine, hello, are you alright? We saw the door open for a while as we were walking past and just wanted to make sure everything was alright.”

Emilia froze as she heard the shrill voice of Evan’s mother.

“Uh, yes,” said Aunt Kat. She sounded uncomfortable. Mr Miranda seemed to notice Emilia’s weird reaction as he gently nudged her aunt. “Everything’s as alright as it can be at the moment.”
“Have you heard anything about Emilia?” That was Nathan’s voice. Emilia felt tears well up in her eyes again and she quickly wiped them dry with the mostly damp tissue in the hand.
“Yes, Em is fine now,” said Kat. “She’s back here, safe, no need to worry about her now.”

Creeping over to the door, Emilia listened as Nathan asked if he could see her. Kat refused, telling them that they just wanted to spend some time together and make sure she was alright.

“You know, I heard a rumour that she had run away with my eldest, Evan,” said Melissa with a sharp tone. Mr Miranda’s eyebrows raised.
“Wouldn’t he be in his 20s now?” said Mr Miranda.
“Yes, but he never has been… normal.”
“I don’t know, he always seemed rather quiet and nice, both before and after the accident,” said Mr Miranda. Emilia leaned against the doorframe, just out of sight.

“I’m glad to hear Emilia’s okay.” Nathan. “I’ve missed talking to her, you know?”
“You thought I was better off dead,” said Emilia, not thinking before blurting the words out. Kat and Mr Miranda looked at her with confused expressions. “You thought that your mother was right, that I should be dead. I’ve told you before, you are not my friend, I want nothing to do with you.”

“Emilia…”
“Don’t talk to my son like that,” snapped Melissa. “We have no idea what you are talking about.”
“No?” said Emilia. Kat stood between Emilia and Melissa and Nathan and she was glad, Emilia might have hit one of them otherwise. “You hit me with your car.”
“I did no such thing,” said Melissa before turning to Kat. “Katherine, please, your niece is clearly having some problems, we just wanted to make sure everything was okay.”

“Emilia?” asked Kat sternly without looking away from Melissa. “Did she hit you with her car?”
“Yes, she did,” said Emilia.
“Did she take you too?”
“No,” Emilia said honestly. “Her eldest son did, Evan. He took me to stop her from killing me.”

Melissa’s expression morphed into one of fury as she took a step back and held her head high.
“How dare you!”
“Please leave,” said Kat. She was trying her hardest to be polite. “The cops are going to be here soon.”
“My brother wouldn’t be able to hurt anyone.”
“Your half brother,” Emilia said coldly, staring at Nathan. “You like pointing that out to him, that he has a different father.”
“Excuse me?”

Emilia let the arguing fade out as she leaned against the wall, she felt sort of light headed. She watched as Mr Miranda tried to stop her aunt from doing something stupid. Twice she tried to shut the door on them.

Emilia stared off into the distance, over their shoulders. There were three black cars on the driveway. Her aunt Kat’s car, Mr Miranda’s car and…

Evan.