Chapter 25

Emilia slept better that night. Evan hadn’t seemed too offended at what she had said, it seemed like he had sort of agreed. She took her medication like she had done the day before, with Evan watching her. As she ate breakfast, Evan’s phone started ringing. His eyes widened as he looked at his phone.

“Amy?” he said. He answered the call and lifted his phone to his ear. “Are you alright?” Emilia couldn’t hear the other half of the conversation but Evan kept talking to his friend. Slowly, Evan moved out of the kitchen and to the stairs before heading up them.

He had her medication and she couldn’t get her shoes from the bedroom, or the clothes she had been wearing when she had been hit by the car. She figured that it could be used as evidence and it wasn’t as if it was her only box of her medication. She did have her ring which her mother gave her, that was all she really needed.

Emilia looked up the stairs and then towards the front door. Quickly and quietly, she moved towards it and slowly opened it. She was thankful it was open. Then she took off running. Her chest didn’t hurt this time and she didn’t slow or stop. There was no Nathan to stop her and Evan had said that if she left again and they weren’t there, he would let her go.

She made it to the road, the black tarmac was warm on her bare feet as she walked along the edge of the road. Emilia kept looking over her shoulders, both at the road and into the forest, making sure no one was following her.

A black car drove past and slowed down. Slowly, it reversed and Emilia wondered if she would have to run into the forest. Evan did have a black car. It stopped in front of her and she willed herself to run towards her aunt’s house.

None other than Mr Miranda stepped out of the car.

“Emilia?”
“Mr Miranda?” she asked, letting out a sigh of relief. It wasn’t Evan. It wasn’t Evan, it was Mr Miranda.
“Are you alright?” he asked. He scrambled to pull out his phone. It was weird seeing her music teacher wearing jeans and a shirt. “I’ll call the cops.”
“I just want to go to my aunt’s,” she said as he held his phone up to his ear.

It only took a few minutes to inform them and tell them that she’d be at her aunt’s house. Emilia hesitantly accepted the offer of him driving her to her aunt’s house.
“I was on my way to visiting your um, my girlfriend,” he said as he drove down the road. It was only a five minute drive, if that. When the car stopped, Emilia jumped out and ran up to the door. It was open and her aunt stood in the kitchen.

Neither of them said a word as they ran to each other, hugging the other as tightly as they physically could.
“You’re safe now,” her aunt whispered as she moved Emilia’s hair out of her face. “You’re safe now from whoever it was, they can’t get you now, you’re safe here.” Emilia felt tears run down her face.
“I’ve missed you,” she managed to whisper through the crying.
“Oh, Emilia,” she muttered. “I’ve missed you too, you’re back.”

Emilia was finally free.