Chapter 3 ❀ Brunch

"Are you done wiping your snot with my sheets?" A sudden sarcastic voice caused you to widen your eyes and shoot up, almost making you emit sounds you would rather not allow your boss to hear. You instantly released the pillow and sat up, your face beet red. "K-Kaiba, you were here?! You scared me..."

"Oh really? And what was that? Where did the 'Mister Kaiba' go?" The brunet said, standing up from the chair near his desk on which he had been sitting up until now, referring to how you weren't using any honorifics despite your differences in ranks.

You as well got out of the bed since having been caught sniffing your boss' bedsheets was already awkward enough. You rolled your eyes while fixing your shirt and hair a tad. "We're not at work, meaning you have no power here."

"Hm? I don't think that's something a person who's running late an hour should be saying." Kaiba countered, crossing his arms in front of his chest, his confident expression never once faltering. You looked around in order to spot a clock or anything that could indicate time for that matter, and weren't too surprised to learn that the CEO was actually speaking the truth.

But since it was partially his fault for not having woken you up sooner, you weren't too worried. That, and also since he himself was still here with you and hadn't left for the company yet. "Honestly, I really don't want to hear anything from a person whose room is covered in Blue Eyes White Dragon wallpapers."

"Anyhow, I will overlook your tardiness if you prepare breakfast. For Mokuba." Kaiba added the last part once he felt like it would have been awkward otherwise, by the way switching the subject rather smoothly with a clearing of his throat. He didn't want you to assume that he wanted you to cook some food for him or anything, after all.

"Food-bribes? I'm surprised you're not using money." You snorted as the two of you slowly but surely made your ways to the living room which also happened to be connected with the kitchen. Mokuba was already up and seated at the dining table, at his usual spot of course. Kaiba had most probably gone to wake him up before he had come to stalk you while you slept.

Which led you to think: If you were the one who had napped in the CEO's bed, then where exactly did Kaiba sleep? He didn't share a bed with you, right? No way, there must be many other rooms available in this house beside his and his little brother's.

"[Name] is preparing breakfast for us? Awesome! What are we gonna eat?" Mokuba's excited outburst had shaken you out of your mental monologue, and the next thing you knew, you had patted Mokuba on the head before heading to the kitchen counter. "Should we really be here, taking our sweet time like this? We're already running late. Roland is probably worried."

"Oh yeah, he did keep pestering me with calls all morning." Kaiba commented casually, actually listening to you from start to finish for a change, and from the sounds of it, he had probably refused all of those calls. You sighed before confirming your suspicions. "And let me guess, you didn't pick up even once. Why?"

"I was... preoccupied." Was Kaiba's blunt reply and for some reason you had the feeling he was avoiding your gaze when he said that even though you weren't particularly looking at him to begin with. Just what on earth had him so 'preoccupied' that he couldn't even answer one of his faithful worker's calls?

You didn't bother digging into it any deeper, since what the brunet had said smelled like a pile of bad excuses from the get-go, so you shifted all of your attention to cooking instead. "Do you have an apron? I mean, you don't look like you do, but I don't want to dirty my work clothes."

"I don't—" Before Kaiba could even properly deny it, Mokuba slammed his smaller hands against the wooden table, like the mini format of a CEO that he was. "We have one! It's in the left cupboard!" Judging by the glare that Seto was secretly flashing his younger brother, there was something in that specific cupboard he didn't want to be revealed. That something happened to be the very apron itself, actually.