DAY 2, FRI - THE 2ND HALF, EVENING

They got into the car and headed towards their home. Natalie made sure that their conversation didn't force her to deviate from the actual course. They discussed about Maria's plan of action assuming she got selected for the job and was stationed in Mumbai. Natalie appeared to be thinking hard trying to locate in her mind as to where she'd seen the working women's hostel.

They were approaching a T junction a hundred meters ahead. The left led to where Natalie lived and the right took them back to Navrang where they'd just watched the movie. It all of a sudden flashed Natalie that the women's hostel was towards the right and she instantly recalled the topography when she had traveled with her dad so many times in the past. In fact, she had taken the same route to the station the previous day when she had gone to pick Maria from the station.

As they approached the fork just before Navrang talkies, Natalie spotted the women's hostel on their right. Natalie slowed down the car and pointed towards the hostel, “There it is... the hostel.”
Maria followed Natalie's pointed finger and grunted when she read the board - WORKING WOMEN'S HOSTEL.

Natalie noticed Maria admiring the hostel building and she stopped the car across the road from where they could see the complete building. The hostel was an independent two-storeyed structure painted in grey and light blue colors.

The surrounding concrete walls ran parallel with the building's external walls 20 feet away on all four sides. It had an eight feet wall in the front with its external name board mounted on it. It shared its nine feet high side walls with two taller buildings one on either side. The ten feet high wall at the rear separated the hostel structure from an open playground behind it, and had glass pieces embedded on the top end of the plastered walls.

The hostel building housed twelve twin-sharing, self-contained rooms, six on each floor, first and second. Each room had its entrance from a long common corridor that spanned the entire length of the building, with just three windows that offered the view of the road side. The windows of all the twelve rooms overlooked the playground at the rear. The ground floor provided the basic amenities like an administrative office, a lounge for visitors, a fully equipped kitchen with a bathroom and a toilet for the staff members, and a storeroom to stock supplies.

Although the hostel was made accessible to the working women at nominal amounts of deposit and cheaper rentals, it had very strict policies against any male relative entering the premises between 6 PM and 6 AM. The hostel structure looked spectacular laying nestled in the thick green foliage of the three overgrown trees in each corner and Maria liked it instantly.  Maria glanced at Natalie, still wide-eyed, and nodded in approval.

“Like it, babe, huh!” Natalie affirmed, turning the key in the ignition. Natalie turned right while Maria seemed busy making notes in her diary. For next fifteen minutes both seemed completely engrossed in their respective work. Maria was still busy scribbling notes in her notepad while Natalie was focused on maneuvering through the traffic. Natalie broke the silence by announcing, “We're almost there.”

“Where?” Maria fanned her eyesight right from left to the right and back.

“Where all our inner needs are taken care of, baby,” Natalie winked, “Women's World.”

Maria chuckled, sweeping her glance from Natalie to the dashboard which said 17:35 hrs. In another seven minutes or so Natalie was into the shop's parking. Natalie asked Maria to proceed saying she'd join her soon after she had parked her car.

Maria quickly browsed through the patterns of the lingerie displayed on the mannequins before entering the shop. Natalie backed her car into the parking lot and was standing next to Maria at the counter within no time. A salesgirl standing in the distance recognized Natalie as their regular customer and smiled at her with a courteous bow as Natalie walked in and Natalie smiled back at her.