Chapter 2

New York April 11, 2020

"You're late, Stark." Fury scowls.

"No, Pirate," Tony struts into the conference room, taking a seat outside of the table. "You're all early."

Fury sighs. "Let's get this meeting started.

The one-eyed man clicks a remote bringing up a hologram of a person dressed in red and blue pajamas. The team watches weary. "Meet spiderman as social media has dubbed him."

"He is the vigilante operating in Queens. Correct?" Vision askes.

"Oh," Sam speaks up. "I heard of this guy. He swings around and does flips."

"He needs a better suit," Tony comments from his corner as he looks on his phone.

"Ok," Rogers nods. "Are we taking him in or something?"

"No," Fury answers curtly. "I have that part handled. I am only informing you that if he agrees, he will be joining the Avengers." The whole team forms shocked expressions.

"Fury," Natasha sighs.

"What?" Sam remarks. "We don't even know him."

"Then you will get to know him. We can't have an enhanced individual running around doing whatever he wants. At least this way, you can watch after him, and train him." The SHIELD director responds.

"I don't know, Fury," Cap replies. "This is..."

"It's not your decision to make." Fury huffs and proceeds to march out of the room.

"That went well," Tony comments sarcastically.

Steve sighs as he walks to the front of the room. "Our new mission will be tomorrow. Can you come, Stark?"

Tony glances up. "No."

"That's fine." Steve continues. "There are rumors of a Winter Solider in Singapore. We will..."

"How is this Avengers business?" Tony interrupts. "It seems more personal than anything else."

"Stark," Steve sighs.

"No, I'm serious, Rogers." Tony stands up. "The government is angry about Sokovia. With the damages and the death toll, we can't have any more international incidents, especially for personal reasons."

"We know how to be discreet." Sam retorts.

"Tony is right," Rhodey responds. "A lot of people are not happy with us."

"The public doesn't have to like us; we just need to keep them safe," Steve replies.

"It is better if we have their support. If this turns out bad, I did warn you." Tony huffs and leaves the meeting, annoyed by his teammates.

New York April 14, 2020.

Peter tossed his backpack in his room and staggered into the bathroom. To say his walk home was rough is a major understatement. The short journey became a climb to Mount Everest. The sidewalks appeared like they were lined with broken rocks causing him to stumble. His eyes betrayed him, showing the world tilting back and forth. Every time his feet touch the ground, Peter feels a painful shock in his abdomen. He still made it. By the end, blood had soaked most of the clothes and coated his hands. The sticky liquid covered his whole body.

He snatches the bandages from the medicine cabinet, ignoring the pain. Tears fall from Peter's brown eyes as he lifts his shirt over the wound. He wishes someone was there to help him, but to protect the ones he loves he has to make this lonely sacrifice. Taking a couple of deep breaths, Peter looks down at the wound. It looks awful. Nevertheless, he didn't have time to worry about it.