Chapter Seven

chapter seven

From Mike's perspective, the Friday-night barbeque was going swimmingly. His array of sausages and burgers were cooked to perfection, and Gina's home-made lemonade was going down a treat with the Elmtree residents - although Frank kept insisting Liam's version of the drink was 'Loads better!'

He flopped down onto his deckchair and closed his eyes. Deep in a state of tranquillity, he was graced by the sound of birds tweeting, and the joyful, quiet chatter of the residents. The place had never been so calm. Just as he was about to nod off into a peaceful slumber-

'GO!'

Suddenly, a warcry from Jody beckoned half-a-dozen waterguns to direct an organised attack on Mike. Jets of water soaked his body from every possible angle, leaving droplets dripping from his nose. He kept his eyes closed. He had accepted his fate.

'Haha! GOT HIM!' Tyler cheered in delight as everyone laughed.

'I have to hand it to you Tyler, that was a brilliant shot to his head!' Jody grinned and high-fived her friend.

'Um... guys, look.' Harry redirected their attention to Mike, who's eyes still remained shut.

The group stopped laughing and looked anxiously among eachother.

'Is he asleep?' Floss whispered, creeping her way up to the deckchair.

'Let me investigate.' Tyler announced, pushing past the younger girl with a look of determination on his face. She crossed her arms furiously at this gesture.

'Mikee...Mikee...' Tyler sang, crouched down, trying get a closer view at the care worker. He was beginning to look scared.

There was a moment of silence.

'ARHHHHHHH!'

Mike shouted, and suddenly leapt out the chair, causing Tyler to let out a piercing, high-pitched scream. He then chased the mischievous group of troublemakers round the garden, leaving Gina, who was sitting at the bench, in hysterics.

'Remind me to get rid of that water pistol!' Gina cried, wiping tears from her eyes.

'You really should!' Giggled Faith, who was sitting to her right, 'Last Satuday I was in Mike's shoes.'

Elektra sniggered from the seat opposite, 'It was quite the spectacle.' The pair glanced warmly at eachother.

'Dear, dear. Right! Rick, you with me now! I need someone to help me move the barbeque back where it belongs!' Gina demanded.

Rick looked up slowly from his magazine with an expression of pure irritation.

'Can't you get them to do it?' He pointed at the cluster of residents relaxing under the large oak tree.

'Well, no offence, but they're all wearing nice clothes but you're...'

She gestured at the scruffy, stained plaid shirt he was wearing, causing Elektra and Faith to giggle and his face to turn a vibrant shade of scarlet.

'Come on now!' Gina dragged an unwilling Rick down the garden, leaving the two older girls alone at the bench.

Elektra was prodding at the solitary burger on her plate with a fork.

'You should eat that you know, protein is good for you.' Faith said thoughtfuly, stacking the plates that had been unlovingly abandoned on the table.

'It's a burger?' Elektra raised her eyebrows.

'You're right. Maybe not the healthiest. But it isn't burnt for once?'

'True.' Elektra placed her plate on top of the pile. 'But since I'm leaving soon, I'm going to go vegetarian again.'

'You were vegetarian once? That's so interesting.' Faith leaned in closer.

'Yeah, can't say my parents were too impressed with it, they tried to force me to eat meat half the time.' She looked down.

'Oh, that's not very-' Faith tried to sympathise, tilting her head before getting interrupted.

'Nah it's fine. I was just thinking that when I leave this place I'll actually have a say in what I eat and stuff like that.' Elektra fiddled with her fingers silently for a few seconds.

'I'm looking forward to it mostly, I really am too old for this dump anyway.' She confessed, and sighed as she looked around at her surroundings.

'What's holding you back?' Faith questioned. Despite her friend's seemingly positive attitude towards her departure, it was obvious now that something was seriously wrong.

'Nothing, I-'

'Look,' Elektra sighed defiantly and looked at her. 'It's pretty obvious now that something to do with this move is bothering you. We both know that.'

Elektra bit her lip and sighed in defeat.

'Look, I'll tell you okay? Can we... take this to the swing perhaps?'

'Sure thing.' Faith put her arm around her friend as they walked further into the garden.

As they strode past the large oak tree, Johnny nudged Carmen and sniggered. 'Really- what has got into them? Elektra is never that... nice.'

'I think I know exactly why those two are so close!' Carmen giggled, looking sheepish.

'Go on, tell me!'

'Nope. Sorry. Can't do that, my lips are sealed!' Carmen sang, remembering her promise to Faith.

Johnny groaned, but wasn't too annoyed by his friend's antics.

Carmen always lets a secret slip sooner or later.