"i know what a movie is, scott."

summary:
everything leading up to our
favorite drive in movie night

if he was completely honest, he didn't think she'd say yes.

scott had been thinking about this for awhile now (if two years is considered 'awhile'), and after the events of the past few days, it always seemed to be in the back of his head.

obviously there were more important things to think about. he'd been off of house arrest for less than a week. he needed to catch up on all of the time he'd missed with cassie, from the park to getting ice cream to the frequent dinners maggie and paxton insisted on having.

but there was also hope.

he hadn't seen her since that day on the pier, when they'd gotten back the lab and brought back her mother. she had to have been catching up on the years they missed together, and he couldn't blame her.

she'd never explicitly told her how much she missed her, but he could tell. after everything they've been through, he knew how to read her (as much as one could read someone as closed off as hope van dyne).

scott had been on house arrest for two years while still seeing cassie, but he still felt like he missed out. he couldn't even imagine how hope and janet felt.

she'd also kissed him that day. he didn't know if she knew he remembered, but he did. how could he not?

the two years alone, locked in his house, were brutal. he was grateful for whenever he saw cassie, grateful for those small interactions renewing him and keeping him going, but it was still exhausting. the days without her were spent sleeping, eating, and, most of all, overthinking.

he'd been drowning in guilt every second of every day, and even though they'd forgiven him (hope had, he still wasn't sure about hank), he couldn't help but still feel bad about what he'd pulled in germany.

if scott was sure about anything right now, though, it was that he'd never do anything like that to her, to them, again.

the idea plaguing his thoughts was at the forefront of his mind as he looked down at his phone. he hadn't spoken to hope at all since then, other than a few stray messages here and there about the fbi, about ava, and about hank.

he missed her. it had been barely five days since he's seen her last, but he missed her more than words could describe.

"daddy!"

his head flew up as cassie ran into the room, face gleaming with a smile. "hey, peanut. you pick out what you want to do tonight?"

she nodded, hoisting herself up into the chair next to him. "can we have a movie night tonight? with popcorn?"

his heart soared at how excited she looked, smile covering her face. "of course, peanut. how about sundaes too? as a treat."

if it was possible, her smile grew even wider. "with chocolate sauce and sprinkles?"

"of course! there's no other way, is there?" he replied incredulously. she giggled, shaking her head as she slid off the chair.

"thanks, daddy!" this time, his heart exploded. every day he loved his daughter more and more, which was seemingly impossible, but it never was. a smile grew on his face as she waved at him, tiny feet carrying herself over to the door.

as he looked down again, his eyes snagged on his phone, and the idea that he'd been so focused on shot right back to the forefront of his mind.

cassie hadn't left the room yet, getting momentarily distracted by something on the floor. he didn't bother to look close enough to see what it was.