captain cassie

summary:
little then + now pov from
our favorite little lang
(+ favorite soccer star)

after civil war had gone down and her dad had been shipped off again, cassie hadn't really known what to do with herself.

sure, she had paxton and maggie, and she loved them more than anyone else. they did their best to keep her going, to provide for her and to keep her happy and distracted.

it just wasn't the same without scott.

she'd known what it was like without him, yeah. during palo alto, though, she hadn't been old enough to truly understand the gravity of the situation, nor how it would affect her.

this time, losing him again (and losing hope), it had hit her hard.

hope.

she was eight year old cassie's hero. the admiration for her grew every second they spent together, no matter when or where. she always asked hope about every single mission, wanting to know every detail and how cool was it and were you scared and do you think you could teach me?

and although she never expressed it, hope loved cassie just as much.

cassie also loved her dad with hope. she loved him around her, the way he let loose when they were together. he just seemed happier, and seeing her dad happy made her happy. it was obvious hope had made her way into both of their hearts, and vice versa, and when cassie lost both of them at once, it really hurt.

she missed them at her science fairs, and her picnics and the family dinners maggie insisted on having. she missed them during her weekends at scott's, when they would order pizza and sit on the floor and laugh at stupid movies until they couldn't keep their eyes open.

she especially missed them at her soccer games, cheering so loud when she scored that they embarrassed her, then taking her out to ice cream where they all got the same thing every single time.

she missed it all.

and when she saw hope for the first time after everything, cassie didn't even believe herself at first.

she could still remember the exact day and game.

it was some saturday in the spring. maggie and paxton were out of town for a business trip, so she'd gotten a ride with one of her friends and teammates.

it had been a great game. cassie had scored a goal, and she was so proud of herself, even if her mom and paxton weren't there to see it.

as she grabbed her water bottle and bounded to catch up with her friend, already walking to their car, her eyes caught sight of someone she'd only seen in her dreams.

"hope?"

the woman's eyes widened as she heard cassie's cry. quickly, her head turned, and cassie felt her heart drop when she realized that it was hope, that she was actually there. with her familiar leather jacket and sunglasses, clearly trying to blend into the background, she was actually there.

"hope?" cassie repeated, voice breaking as the woman walked over to her.

crouching down, hope couldn't hold back a smile as she looked at the girl. she hadn't seen her in so long, too long, and the sight of a cassie now two inches taller made her heart break too.