five minutes later

summary:
what i like to imagine would have happened if hank had interrupted them just five minutes later

"you don't remember anything? nothing at all?"

"hank, i-i-i don't."

scott could feel the disappointment rolling off of the man from across the table. he wished he had a different answer, wished he had something, anything he could tell hank about his brief time in the quantum realm, but he didn't. it was almost like he blacked out.

in the back of his mind, he knew the memories were in there. somewhere, they were already plaguing his brain with nightmarish colors and shapes and creatures, but he didn't remember them now. at least, not yet.

"there must be something else." hank let out a sigh when he didn't answer, clearly disheartened. "well, i suppose the human mind just...can't comprehend the experience, but..."

"you made it."

those three words sent a shiver down his spine. scott knew they were incredulous, meant to be a compliment to the miracle of him coming back alive, but it didn't feel like it. it felt more like a risk that had come too close to not working than something to celebrate.

"but you went in. you got out." hank's eyes drifted to the floor, voice growing softer. "it's amazing."

he heard a shifting from behind him and looked up as hope walked over. "scott." he was distracted by her for a second, the sunlight hitting her hair in a way that made it look almost like a halo.

"i'll walk you out." he nodded, pushing himself up out of the armchair. a quick pat and a 'get some rest' to hank, and then he was out in the hall, door drifting shut behind him.

he noticed the tension immediately. they both did.

"hey, i, uh," he looked up at her as she spoke, stopping barely a step away from the door. "i never thanked you."

he raised an eyebrow, standing across from her. "what for?"

"everything."

he hadn't expected this from her in the first place, all of this genuine emotion talk, and he sure as hell he didn't expect that.

hope sighed. "i know we didn't have the best start, because you're a complete mess," ah, there she was, "but...i'm glad my dad chose you, scott." she said. his heart warmed at her confession. she hadn't even met his eyes.

"yeah, of course. anytime." he heard him scoff under her breath at his nonchalant answer so obviously more important than he they let on, a familiar action with them.

silence enveloped them again in the hallway. the tension was still there, but it was obvious both of them were too scared to attempt to dispel it. with their luck, who knows what would happen.

he was just about to grab his keys of the hook, turning towards the staircase, when he heard her clear her throat. he looked back, over his shoulder, and was surprised to see her avoiding his eyes.

"makes you think." he furrowed his brows as she spoke up again, turning back around to face her.

"hm?"