1.

I balanced the box in my hand and fished my phone out, seeing my mom's photo flashing on the screen. I sighed and answered it quickly, placing the phone against my shoulder and ear before shifting the box back into both hands.

"I'll call you when I'm done setting up" I answered, releasing my phone from my ear into the box I was carrying without hanging up.

"Please leave the boxes in that corner" I told the movers, tilting my head towards the sink while I carefully placed the box in my hand onto the table.

"The bed goes in that room" I pointed, watching the movers tilt the frame expertly through the door before placing it down.

The apartment was silent after they unloaded everything, a weird dull ache spreading into my heart as I scanned the empty room full of cardboard boxes. Here I am again, alone in another country.

My mom kept calling every other hour, asking if I was done settling into the new apartment ever since I landed, her nagging somehow making my ears ring even with the distance.

I sighed as my phone rang again, picking up and putting her on loudspeaker, wanting her to get her nagging over and done with.

"Hi Mom"

"Jackson. Finally. Are you done settling in yet? Did you miss anything out? Do you need me to send you anything?"

"I'm fine mom"

"Are you sure? Make sure you lock your windows and doors. Did you bring enough clothes?"

"Mom. They have shops here and I'm on the seventeenth floor. The only thing that will come through my window is a bird" I laughed, giving up and shaking my head at the phone.

"I'm unpacking my boxes now. And here I thought I don't have much stuff anymore" I continued, sorting through my stuff.

"Lock them anyway... and well. You are moving there for who knows how long..." she sighed, the guilt of ignoring her first few calls biting at me.

"And you can come and visit me" I prompted, smiling as I started filling up the empty spaces, the organised mess around me making the empty apartment finally feeling like my space.

"I take you up on that" my mom warned, letting out a short laugh.

"Yes mom" I laughed, taking out the framed family photo and setting it on the shelf.

"Say hi to dad for me" I added, staring at the photo.

"I will" she replied, ending the call.

I continued unpacking my stuff, folding all the empty boxes to one corner before standing there and taking in my open apartment. I had managed to fill the empty space, my mind distracted as I finally unloaded the rest of my things.

I stretched as I stood, cracking my back and neck with a groan when I was finally done, realising that it was just past midnight. I changed into my running shorts and shirt, deciding to go for a run to familiarise myself with the surroundings after bringing the boxes down for recycling.

~

I followed the road and jogged around the neighbourhood, taking in the different shops and amenities nearby. The signs were all in Korean, the realisation that I was in a different country making the permanent smile on my face widen.

I headed back towards my apartment building with a bounce in my jog, turning around the bend when I saw a small white dog running towards me.

The dog's leash was getting dragged along behind, the owner nowhere in sight as it ran at full speed. I quickly turned and grabbed the leash, scraping my knees slightly as I didn't manage to catch myself in time.