7

I watch in horror as Daniyal pulls back his leg again and kicks Carter again, in his torso.

Slowly the slump in my mind thins and without a second's thought I get up to pull Daniyal back.

Carter groans in pain from the floor but he was already too drunk to have enough coordination to get up.

Daniyal is breathing heavily and his eyes are still glowing.

"Let me kick that pervert once again," he spits out and pushes against my hand that is holding his shoulders in place.

"Daniyal," I try to calm him down and speak softly, "Daniyal he is drunk and you already might have left a bruise on him,'

"I am going to rearrange his face," Carter groans from the floor and I momentarily consider kicking him myself but then think against it.

"Let's get out of here," I tug at his shoulder, towards the door outside and he follows me, though with a bit of reluctance.

As I am passing Carter, I may or may not have accidentally stepped on his hands.

He looks like he won't be getting up soon but instead of feeling the remorse I should, I feel relieved.

The party is still going on full swing and just as I am about to leave I remember that I was the designated driver.

I look around everywhere for her and find her in the living room, sitting on the laps of some football player I can't place.

"Irina," I shout over the music to grab her attention and she looks up.

"I am going, do you want to go?" I ask.

"I'll drop her," says Sadie from next to her and I agree.

Irina ushers me to leave as she is too busy staring into the football player's eyes and I leave with an eye-roll.

I don't remember her ever dating him, nor remember her crying over him...so I guess nothing will happen between them.

Me and Daniyal weave through the packed sweaty bodies and I feel like singing when we are finally out in the fresh air.

"Do you think he was hurt too much?" Daniyal's question brings my focus back to him.

I smile at him absent-mindedly and reply, "Well I am sure he was damn well surprised when Delightful Daniyal went Chuck Norris on him,"

Him and I both simultaneously cringe at the old nickname that had followed him into this town. (Later, sometime after puberty, some girls used to call him Delicious Daniyal but thank God it never caught on).

I suddenly feel Carter's hot breathe down my neck and all my emotions come crashing down on me again.

Along with me, Daniyal also stops walking and worriedly seeks my face.

"I never asked if you were okay," he whispers as he comes closer to me with concern.

"Well, I am a tough girl. I was just so scared," There. I had admitted it. I was scared.

"What if you  hadn't come when you did?" I murmur out as a shudder passes through my spine at the possibilities.

"Hey, hey," he whispers. He lifts one hand and wipes away the tear trails in one swift motion.

"I got there on time though, didn't I?" He says and I nod.

"Thank you Daniyal," I whisper, though I don't know why we are whispering.

I was sent back to my senior year to help Daniyal but here I was, in the middle of a random street, feeling Daniyal's warm fingers momentarily brushing against my damp cheek and not regretting it.

I suddenly remember Daniyal's fate, the fate he would meet if I can't save him.

More tears spill out of my eyes as for the first time since I got back, I allow myself to gauge the magnitude of responsibility resting on my shoulders.

This time, Daniyal wipes the tears as soon as they leave my eyes and tries smiling so as to make me feel better.

His thumb is warm as it removes proof of my crying I feel as if it is melting my cheeks but I can't mind less.

Right now, the only overpowering feeling I am having is his presence. Rest anything seems to be of no significance.

His hand slides down to cup my cheek as his hazel eyes cage my honey ones.

I don't know if I am leaning in or he is leaning in but we are definitely coming closer.

His eyes display an array of emotions as they skitter slightly and just like that, the moment seems to have ended.

He removes his hand from my cheek, though the touch is lingering. He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly, "I think we should get you home," he says and I nod. I follow him down the familiar path, only a step behind.

He seems like he is fighting internally and I look at him expectantly.

He finally must have made a decision because he starts speaking, careful to fix his gaze ahead.

"The girl you saw in the picture," he takes in a sharp intake of breath before continuing, "well she is...was my twin Aliyah Amer," I think I had a mini-stroke because I stop all activity and my brain slows down to glacial speeds.

Was his sister...my ever smart conscience helps me to point out the flaw and my throat tightens.

"I..well I," I am at a lack of words and helplessly try to grab some words that describe my current emotions but it seems impossible.

"You don't need to say anything," he says, voice thick with emotions.

"How?" I manage to choke out.

"It's all my fault, you know,"

"I don't believe that," I say firmly.

"It doesn't matter what you think or believe. It is the undeniable truth,"

I am dumbfounded by the aggression and guilt in his voice.

At that moment, I finally see the pain behind his bright hazel eyes and pull him into an unexpected hug. He goes rigid with surprise for a moment.

Slowly he melts into my arms and breaks down into sobs that make me think for the infinite time that do I really know him?

::::

A/n:and that people is what you call desperate grasping for words because you procrastinated and now need to meet the deadline(30 April).

Anyways hope this was okay and you liked it.

::::