Chapter 7: Knock Before Entering

Sharp words did nothing to chastise her horse. He was incorrigible. The animal butted Vivian playfully, trying to break her melancholy mood. He nibbled at her jerkin, smelling the leftover oats from the soldier's inn.

"You really earned them last night, boy." Vivian said as she stroked Lunam's mane. "Though I have half a mind to throw them away for your poor judgement. I'm going to have to resort to stealing if that leech hangs around much longer."

Lunam snorted at Vivan's bluster. "You're right, I can't hate her. If anything, I'm impressed. She does know how to fend for herself, she just needed a crowd to do it." Vivian leaned into Lunam's side for comfort.

Her judgement and emotions were nearer to the surface than she would have liked. Frustration, exhaustion, and worry bubbled over into shaky hands as she brushed down her horse until she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer.

She looked towards the inn. "I suppose I should suck it up and grab my things. Looks like you will have company today, boy."

Vivian dragged a few armfuls of fresh hay into the stall for her bedding. She had already paid for the space and couldn't afford to splurge on another room. None of the bounties had been high profile, and she had no idea how long taking down Nelson and Gleason would take.

For all of their bickering, the two made an excellent pair.

The princess trudged up the stairs, mind turning to her next move. Was the fire a ruse to throw her off their trail, or was there another enemy she hadn't considered?

The possibilities made her head swim. The pounding between her eyes reminded her of what was most important. Sleep.

To do that, she needed to know all of her belongings were safe, not being held hostage by the witch of a woman called Quinnley.

Vivian kicked open the door to grab her satchel and extra swords. There was no need to waste time knocking, she was the owner of the room.

The smell of fresh hay was calling her as Vivian shouldered her pack.

A screech had her unsheathing her short sword and staring at the wooden tub near the door. Quinnley stared at Vivian with wide eyes as she sunk down until only the sharp edges of her collarbones showed. Her arms were crossed in front of her chest under the water.

"Indecent brute! You didn't see anything did you?"

Vivian frowned. She had forgotten about the coveted bath Quinnley stole from her. "You're still here. Didn't you find a more willing benefactor to swindle, or were you expecting more from me?"

Vivian raised an eyebrow. If Quinnley didn't want to be seen, she wouldn't have bathed naked with the door unlocked with a room full of interested men downstairs. Even she couldn't be so naive.

At least the lady had the decency to look embarrassed. "For god's sake turn around! Are you such a rake that you had to put an innocent young woman in such a compromising position?" Quinnley cried. "Don't you know to knock before entering!"

"According to your account of yesterday, I already ruined your reputation." Frustration and irritation had already used up all of the restraint Vivian possessed. "And out of spite you ruined mine."

"It's not like you need it anyway. You will be moving on soon enough." Quinnley defended. "You left me no choice, knowing full well I'm useless at fending for myself."

"As I made it clear before, it is not my job to look after you." Vivian was surprised at the admission, but she still hadn't forgiven Quinnley for her stunt in the common room. It was time to teach the lady a lesson.

If she expected a gentleman, Vivian would act as anything but. The princess slowly stalked towards the sudsy tub, playing the part of fiendish rogue. Though she wasn't a hot-blooded man, it was some she acted like one. One hand gripped the edge of the bath while the other trailed calloused fingers over the woman's pristine olive skin. It was warm and smooth to the touch.

Vivian's stomach churned at the contact, though she wasn't sure of the reason. A part of her felt dirty and gross for invading Quinnley's privacy like some domineering fiend. The other part of her secretly reveled in the touch of another human and the flush that brightened Quinnley's cheeks.

Vivian smiled ruefully as she cupped the girl's chin. Regardless of her feelings, she had to play the part of a controlling male. "From what I saw earlier, you are fully capable. Or did you think I was as easy to seduce as the rest of your fan club down below?"

The tension in the room skyrocketed, but for what reason Vivian wasn't sure. Quinnley gulped as she scooted towards the back of the tub like a startled doe.

Vivian continued to push forward, her lips nearly brushing the girl's ear. "Very very stupid of you to test me, Quinnley. Don't mistake my generosity for weakness."

A small dark side of her reveled in the control she had over the situation as Quinnley's eyes widened in fear. Vivian had spent far too much time on her own as her body thrummed at their position. If the princess wasn't careful, she would be the one blushing instead of Quinnley.

She stepped back, leaving cold space between them. "Too bad I'm not interested in conniving vixens. Don't make the mistake of crossing me again."

Quinnley was inhaling air like a dying fish in an attempt to get a hold of herself. For once the lady was speechless.

Mission accomplished, the princess turned on her heel and continued to gather her belongings. A terse silence settled over the room.

The sound of sloshing water and the rustle of cloth came from behind her.

Now that her bravado was gone, a deep shyness settled over Vivian. Afraid of what she might face if she remained in the vicinity a second longer, she stepped towards door with haste.

"Wait," called Quinnley as Vivian wrenched open the door.

Sleep and her savings be damned, Vivian was going to find another inn. One across the city if possible. Anything to put as much space between her and all of the strange feelings elicited by Quinnley Solace.

Arms wrapped around her waist before she could step outside. "Just give me a moment, would you?" Quinnley begged. She sidestepped around Vivian and shut the door, despite being clad in only a blanket. "At least let me get dressed before you open the door, I don't want anyone to be suspicious."

Feelings rolled in her stomach that she had never felt before. She had been more intimate with others before, but even innocent contact with Quinnley had her heart racing.

Yet she stayed, staring blankly at the wall while she tried to get a handle on her emotions. The encounter most certainly hadn't gone as expected.

Once Quinnley was sure Vivian wouldn't bolt, she left to dress. When she returned she was in nothing but a nightgown, the blanket still covering her modesty.

The lady marched up to the doorway, grabbing the walking stick next to it as if it could somehow stop Vivian from overpowering her. Quinnley stopped and fanned herself with a familiar sheaf of yellowed papers. "I'm curious to know why you carry so many bounties for one person, Onium."

Vivian blurted, "I'm not him, if that is what you are insinuating."

The words were out of her mouth before she realised what she gave away. Thirty six hours of exhausting frustration and concentration finally showed by way of a loose tongue.

Quinnley raised an eyebrow. "That's not what I meant but now I'm curious, Sir Ian. Or is it Onium?"

Vivian's heart began to flutter for an entirely different reason.