Chapter 19: My Life is Yours

A snotty burst of air smacked into Vivian's face, followed by a calloused nudging of her cheek. Vivian moved to shove Lunam away like always, only to find she was unable to mover her arms without blistering pain.

Her eyes flew open as she remembered being tortured in her old training room. The fire, the demon. "I always knew you would end up in Hell too, my friend." Vivian croaked as her horse wickered in response.

Seeing that his rider was going to recover, Lunam stepped away to join his new best friend, a familiar black and white mare.

The sounds of the forest enveloped Vivian in comforting familiarity as she lay facing the sky. It was late afternoon by the length of the shadows and the girl wondered how it was possible for such a peaceful landscape to exist in the afterlife. It felt like a dream until she started coughing so hard she thought she would lose a lung.

The spout of a canteen was pressed to her lips, and Vivian drank hungrily. "I thought I lost you," a familiar voice drew her attention to the side. Only when she realised who was giving her water did Vivian understand how she was being tortured in hell.

She spat her last gulp back out with distaste. "I should have guessed you would be my own personal demon."

Quinnley, or Quinn, sat next to her on the ground, picking at some grass. He looked completely normal except for the arm bandaged that sat uselessly in his lap. Quinn sighed. "You're not dead, Vivian."

"I want to be." She said honestly. The torture had covered up her feelings, but her heart was still raw and she didn't want to feel any more pain.

"You can't mean that." Quinn said as he moved closer to her.

"Stay away from me."

"I know I hurt you, and I'm sorry." A lightly calloused hand smoothed some stray hairs away from her face. "And I'm sorry that I'm too selfish to listen to your request."  

Quinn ran a hand through his hair. "I can understand why you don't want me around after everything, but I'm staying until you can fend for yourself. I can't let you go that easily, not after all the time I spent searching for you."

Vivian remained silent, not sure how to feel about the earnestness of his confession. His presence was a painful reminder of all the hurt and lies that passed between them, but there was no denying the comfort his proximity brought or the way her body craved his touch.

Quinn nervously took one of Vivian's hands in the working one of his own. He drew little circles on her palm until he had enough courage to look her in the eyes. "I know you have absolutely no faith in me after what happened, but if you believed in Quinnley at all, believe that I love you."

He held his breath after uttering the last three words, trying to gauge her reaction. The words he spoke to her at their old camp had been carved deeply into her heart, and simple words barely dulled the pain. She became stone at the confession, not understanding him at all. What more could he gain from playing with her emotions?

"How can I trust anything you say at this point? I don't even know you."

Quinn flinched as she threw his own words back at him. "You do know me, better than anyone. I was more myself around you as Quinnley than I have ever been around anyone. Except that I was a man and my initial reason for forcing you to travel with me, everything I told you was truthful."

Vivian remained silent because it hurt to keep talking, both mentally and physically. She had nothing to say to Quinn anyway. He was a manipulative bastard who was still trying to play her like a fiddle.

When she turned her head away in an indication that she was done with the conversation, Quinn sighed and busied himself tidying up camp. Vivian watched as he stoked the fire and pulled out a ball of dried noodles and spices she bought in Midest for soup. He moved awkwardly but with purpose, working around the useless limb at his side as he prepared everything exactly as Vivian had taught him.