Chapter 8: Burn After Reading

"Who gave you permission to rifle through my belongings?" Vivian seethed as she crossed her arms over her chest. She fought the panic that coursed through her veins.

The papers taunted her, each one a physical manifestation of her insecurities.

"Self preservation. I like to know who I'm involved with." Gone was the damsel in distress of the previous day. Quinnley had leverage and was determined to use it.

"I'm a bounty hunter." It was too little too late and she knew it. Her damn mouth just wouldn't quit because Vivian's brain was functioning on fumes.

"Which is why I expected a few copies of the wanted posters, but you seem to have been collecting them before a substantial reward was offered." Quinnley flicked through the papers one by one. "I kept asking myself why a bounty hunter would need to keep bounties that bore no reward, description, or likeness of the criminal involved."

"A good hunter learns his prey." Vivian continued lamely. She kicked herself for being so stupid as to not burn the bounties in the fire, but it was impossible for her to let them go even now.

They were the proof that her sacrifices made a difference.

It wasn't pride that made her keep them despite the risk of discovery. It was the lonely nights and dark thoughts of worthlessness that stayed her hand. She spent many nights clutching the postings to her chest like a child's stuffed toy to keep nightmares at bay.

Quinnley flashed a cheshire grin at Vivian's tired fumbling. "Here I was wishfully casting for a snippet of information. Imagine my surprise to find I'm dealing with the big fish himself."

The woman cocked her head as she gave Vivian a once over. "You are different than I imagined. Shorter, grouchier, sloppier."

"What do you want?" Vivian slowly released the knives in her sleeves, eyeing a window. She could be out the window and through the gates before Vivian even made it to the sheriff or soldiers.

"I wouldn't run if I were you." Quinnley saw Vivian's glance towards the only other exit. "A few of those 'benefactors' downstairs are lawmen. A scream is all it will take. Don't forget I know what you look like too, Onium the elusive faceless vigilante."

"I don't like being threatened." Vivian growled.

"As you so brusquely demonstrated earlier." Quinnley's cheeks flushed lightly. "I wouldn't like a repeat, so how about I even the playing field? I know your secret, so how about I tell you mine?"

"Why should I believe anything you say?"

"Because I haven't called for anyone out despite the substantial amount of money I could make for turning you in. Also, I need your help."

The princess waited patiently for the girl to continue. Taking a deep breath, Quinnley said, "I had a suspicion who you were the moment you stopped on the road. I've been chasing you for a while."

The girl pulled an unadorned ring on a thin chain out from under her nightgown. She pulled the ring toward Vivian, and the metal began to warm and glow. "This confirms you are Onium, the one I have been searching for."

"You have the Gift." Vivian breathed. She had never met a Gifted before. They were people able to create miracles by manipulating the energies around them, or so the stories told.

Her father hunted them down like dogs before she was born for merely possessing powers he could never have. Those he didn't kill fled for their lives.

Only after the genocide did Finis realize his mistake. Ruined fertile soil turned barren, rains became too infrequent, and no one remained to heal the sick or warn of natural disasters. The lack of such gifted helpers sent the country into chaos.

Quinnley tucked the ring back under her shirt. "I'm practically useless at casting with no one to teach me. All I have a knack for is dowsing with this ring that was left with me as an orphaned babe. It does me no good; people get suspicious when I find things too easily."

The girl pulled the blanket tighter around herself. "I've spent my entire life hiding who I am. Now you know something that can get me killed. I trust Onium enough to place my life in his hands. I hope he has enough trust to at least hear me out."

She thrust the bounties into Vivian's frozen arms as a gesture of goodwill. The princess turned and immediately threw the papers into the fire. She couldn't afford to be put in such a compromising situation again.

Vivian watched the papers burn as she debated her next actions. Did she trust Quinnley? Her rules said to trust no one, but the warmth that began to fill the princess's chest since meeting Quinnley said otherwise. Despite their rocky beginning, she was drawn to the quirky girl.

She had already broken so many rules when it came to Quinnley, what was one more?

"Tonight." The princess said. "I will hear more tonight when I have a clear head and a few hours sleep."

Quinnley let out a sigh of relief and spotted away from the door. "You can sleep here if you want."

"To damage your reputation and leave me vunerable? I've had enough of that for one day, Lady Quinnley. I suppose congratulations are in order for the feat. It's not often I find myself at a loss." Vivian said.

The other girl flushed. "You are enough of a gentleman to keep your promise, right?" She asked. "Just know that if you aren't I will find you again no matter where you go."