Sitting or walking on graves, or answering the call of nature in a graveyard

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If any of you were to sit on a live coal and let it burn his clothes until it reached his skin, this would be better for him than sitting on a grave." (Reported by Muslim, 2/667). As for stepping on graves, many people do this, and when a person is buried you can see people who do not care where they walk (even wearing shoes sometimes) on neighbouring graves, with no respect for the dead. The seriousness of this matter is clear from the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "If I were to walk on coals or on a sword, or to mend my shoe with my own foot, this would be better for me than walking on the grave of a Muslim." (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1/499; see also Saheeh al-Jaami', 5038). So what about those who take over the site of a graveyard and build businesses or homes there? As for responding to the call of nature in a graveyard, this is something done by people who have no morals at all. When they feel the need, they jump over the wall of the graveyard and offend the dead with their unpleasant odours and impure waste matter. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "'I wouldn't care if it were in the middle of the graveyard or in the middle of the marketplace" (ibid.) - i.e. answering the call of nature in a graveyard is like uncovering one's 'awrah and answering the call of nature in front of people in a marketplace. Those who deliberately throw their trash into graveyards (especially those which are abandoned and whose walls are broken down) are included in this condemnation. Among the etiquette required of those who visit graveyards is taking off their shoes when they want to walk between graves.