Wailing (at time of bereavement)

One of the haraam deeds that some women do is to raise their voices in screaming and eulogizing the dead, striking their faces, tearing their clothes, cutting or tearing out their hair, etc. All of this indicates that a person does not accept the decree of Allaah and is not bearing disaster with fortitude and patience. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does this. Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who strikes her face, tears her clothes and cries out about woe and doom. (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1/505; see also Saheeh al-Jaami', 5068). 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "He is not one of us who strikes his cheeks, tears his clothes and prays with the supplication of the Jaahiliyyah." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 3/163). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If the woman who wails does not repent before her death, she will be raised on the Day of Resurrection wearing a shirt of tar and a garment of scabs." (Reported by Muslim, no. 934)