(1)

It felt like only an instant had passed between collapsing in Hop's arms and suddenly waking up again. For a moment, you lay confused, your vision slowly swimming into focus again as you blinked at the wall in front of you. Now you weren't in Hop's yard anymore but lying in a bed in a quiet white room. The last time you remembered waking up at all, you were still in Leon's room with Zoroark. Now, there were no red walls, no ball caps lined on shelves, and no Zoroark. 

Thinking of her again instantly made you stress out, but you quickly pushed that thought back down again. 

The lights were off, so it wasn't too hard on your eyes, but it still took you another moment to take everything in around you. This was definitely a hospital. The sterile clean smell gave that away real quickly. As your eyes wandered around the room, you picked up on more evidence supporting that fact; Propped up in a comfortable bed, telly on across the room playing the last football match(the volume almost silent), a tan pulled back curtain adorned with a pattern of jumping Wooloo, and the quiet humming machine beside the bed slowly dripping fluids into your IV. Most notable was your left arm, completely wrapped up and in a sling, resting comfortably across your stomach.

You let your head rest back against the pillow again, your thoughts spinning slowly around your mind. The painkillers in your blood made the room seem to spin, and it was hard to think. Staring towards the light of the telly, you slowly let the last thing you remembered come across. You remembered finding Hop, fleeing from the Slumbering Weald, and just barely making it back to Postwick before fainting. You tried hard not to think too far back to the attack, as just thinking about it was making you shake, only momentarily remembering the blinding pain and the wet snap of your arm. Flashes of ice blue eyes and sharp gnashing teeth. You shuddered, your eyes shifting over to the window to distract yourself.

The blinds were pulled up only just enough to see outside, and as your eyes adjusted to the evening orange colors coming through the window, you suddenly noticed a shape sitting in the chair. Lying back with his feet propped up on the windowsill, fast asleep, was Bede. He was still in his gym uniform from work. A quiet sigh left you, a sense of relief washing over your body at the sight. You'd never felt more thankful to see his face again. You wouldn't have wanted to be alone here after just waking up. Especially after one of the most, probably, traumatizing experiences of your life. 

If not your partner, Bede was always your go to. He was the one that had helped you after your move from the Unova region and helped you find a place to stay. Being a gym leader, he had connections to some other regions and their leaders, and he happened to be good friends with Iris. She was once the dragon-type gym leader and was now champion of Unova. The two of you had been good friends since you were young. In fact, it didn't take long before you rubbed off on Bede a little too, his self important and stubborn demeanor seeming to wear down with time. Before Hop and Sonia, Bede was all you had. A soft smile tugged at your lips. You wanted to get his attention, but didn't want to wake him up. He'd probably had a long day. 

Unfortunately, as that very thought crossed your mind, there was a gentle knock at the door. A second later the shape of a small nurse slid into the room. Immediately, she noticed that you were awake and a smile lit up her face. The first thing that caught your eyes was her thick framed rectangular glasses that sat on her nose. She was short, her dirty blonde hair pulled back into a neat bun. It looked like she had just come in for a night shift. In her hands was a new bag of what you hoped to be saline and some painkillers. Your arm didn't really hurt at the moment but you could feel the slow thudding of your own heartbeat inside the cast. It felt almost tight and kind of hot.

You heard a shuffle to your left and looked in time to see Bede shuffling his chair forward a little. As your eyes met, you saw the sleepiness in his gaze seem to fade, and he even lit up a little. Though any words he was going to spout out caught in his throat. It seemed he didn't want to bombard you too soon, especially with a nurse now in the room.