(4)

You jumped awake.

The sudden jitter caused the cot you were sleeping on to creak just a little bit underneath you. Your heart pounded, and you felt whatever was left of that adrenaline rush down your legs to your feet. The first thing you saw was the bed that Bede was sleeping on next to you. The room itself was only slightly illumined by the glowing mushrooms out the window. They didn't seem like much when you'd fallen asleep but now their glow seemed to envelop the whole room. You could make out the shape of Bede huddled under the blankets. He hadn't heard your sudden rousing from your sleep. Laying on your right side to keep your weight off your left, you propped yourself up on your elbow, grumbling softly to yourself about waking up. It seemed completely random that you'd jumped awake and for a moment you were about to settle back down and go to sleep, but you ended up thinking quietly to yourself.

"I'm thirsty...."

As carefully as you could, you let yourself roll onto your back. You slightly put out your left arm to stop yourself from rolling and a sharp pain shot like lightning through your arm. You hissed at your stupid mistake, pulling your arm to your chest and putting a hand over your casted elbow. It throbbed uncomfortably under the cast and you sat for a moment trying to catch your breath, looking over to see if Bede had stirred any. He didn't thankfully. After a moment, you threw the blankets off of you. Carefully sitting up in the cot, you looked around the room, waiting for the pain to subside a little. For a moment, the room pulsed. The pulsing  in your arm seeming to make your vision swim just a little before it adjusted and became still again. 

You carefully stood, and as you did you saw a small shape lift up on the bed. You couldn't quite tell at first, but you soon recognized it as Sylveon, standing up to stretch a little from the end of Bede's bed. She slowly made her way across the bed to you and stuck her face near yours, wondering if you were okay. You slowly took your hand off your elbow and reached to pet her in the dark, reassuring her that you were. As she purred at you, you turned the other way and slowly walked to the bedroom door. Carefully your made your way down the stairs and into the kitchen where you shuffled to the fridge and opened the door. The light stung your eyes, but not for long as you quickly stuck your hand inside and grabbed the carton of milk in the door. A cup and a seat at the table later you were sitting watching the silent telly. Sylveon had gotten curious enough to follow you down the stairs and sit under the telly with you, watching as a silent newscast played, showcasing the weather for the next few days, or at least trying to. The weather in the wild area was so unpredictable that it was hard to nail down exactly. You sipped your milk as you watched the meteorologist pace back and forth across the screen, first pointing towards Hammerlocke and then over towards the Lake of Outrage. 

Then something...odd happened. As you took another sip of your milk, the telly screen flickered for a moment. It was only just enough to make you think that maybe it was a hiccup in connection. You had just enough time to swallow the milk you already had in your mouth when the telly did it again, this time the screen had flickered completely black for a full second or two before coming back on again. You looked down at Sylveon, frowning as you realized that she had no reaction to what was happening. Her sleepy eyes were still watching the telly, occasionally looking down to lick her paws and groom her face. You tried to relax as you believed if she wasn't reacting to it, then it must've been a normal thing here. The whole thing still made your stomach turn. You rubbed your eyes and turned your gaze to the window. When your eyes adjusted...

Your breath caught in your throat and you nearly jumped back in your chair. It was enough to make a sound as it scooted across the floor, making your milk slosh about in the glass and get all over the floor and your hand. Sylveon jumped at your sudden reaction, straight to her feet. Her back arched for a moment defensively and following your gaze to the window where you were staring.