eighteen

❀

Sage and Gracelyn were in the library once more, attempting to study, but ultimately taking hour-long periods of breaks in between minutes of studying. Gracelyn had been looking over at Sage the whole time, gnawing at her lip as she thought of what to say to her best friend until it finally ate at her and she blurted it out.

Sage was aware that Gracelyn was a dumb girl, but she didn't think she was dumb enough to write a letter to Remus. She wanted Gracelyn to be happy, but she was chasing after a false trail that wasn't there. She believed Remus to be a monster for how he was causing Gracelyn to react. That was one reason why she invested her time in girls and not boys.

"What's the point in that?" asked Sage.

"Well, I'm too much of a coward to say how I really feel in person, so why not write it?" asked Gracelyn.

"And what are you exactly trying to tell him?"

"I just...want to thank him for everything because his company was very nice, but it's been suffocating to have him near me and act like everything's fine. I'll just write this letter and get it over with. Then, we have our O.W.L.s next week and we won't have to see each other until the next school year," answered Gracelyn with a bright smile.

Sage, on the other hand, seemed skeptical. "Gracie, you can't smile and possibly think everything will be fine through a letter. You're hurt and that's understandable, but it would just make it more awkward."

Gracelyn wasn't only going to tell Remus about his behavior, but she wanted him to rekindle his friendship with the Marauders. She noticed how he drifted apart from other people, only talking for school purposes. Now that he pushed her out of his life, he was truly alone, and she didn't like that.

"Don't worry, Sage. I'll win him over with my neat cursive," reassured Gracelyn.

"I don't think - "

"Now, where do I begin?" murmured Gracelyn as she fished out a piece of parchment, a quill, and ink.

Sage sighed, looking at the rushed girl rummaging through her bag. She had never felt so many emotions in a single year of school.