twenty-seven

❀

It was the middle of dinner in the Great Hall when Sirius sighed dramatically, eyeing Remus who was staring at Tobias and Gracelyn.

"Moony, I'm so tired of having this conversation with you," said Sirius, grabbing his cheeks to smush them together.

Remus grunted, smacking Sirius's hand away. "She doesn't like him."

"No, I'm pretty sure she does. She just doesn't love him," Sirius corrected.

Remus continued to stare at them.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "All right, I'm done with this - whatever this is."

He got up from his seat and walked over to Gracelyn and Tobias. Remus watched the interaction with wide eyes. Sirius stood behind them in the middle and clapped a hand on their shoulders, leaning in to whisper something to the two of them. Tobias and Gracelyn shook both their heads. Sirius pointed at Remus, causing all three to look at him. He looked away and hid his face behind his hand, peeking through the cracks in his fingers. Sirius said something to Gracelyn before standing up straight and walking back to Remus, sitting at his previous spot.

"What was that?" Remus hissed.

"Me being the smart one for once. They're not dating. They just play around."

"What?"

"You heard me. They're not dating. Wood said he's trying to make another girl jealous and Gracie over there is in it for the run. They don't like each other," he concluded. "So eventually get off your flat arse and ask her out. Moony, I swear we have this conversation every day and night. Before you know it, I'll be scolding you in my sleep."

"What do you think I should do?" Remus asked.

Sirius shrugged. "Hell if I know. Walk up to her and talk to her. For a werewolf, you sure as a scaredy-cat."

"Keep your voice down, you git," Remus scolded.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "You're the git in this situation."

Sirius could not believe the nerve of Remus. He was supposed to be the smartest Marauder, but there he was, getting fooled by a pretty girl and her arm candy. He knew Remus was easy to break down. With his lycanthropy, the last thing he needed was to feel second best to a boy he barely knew.