twenty-one

❀

The four Marauders settled under the shade of a tree. Everyone at Hogwarts knew that was their spot. It had been empty for months without all four of them together. It was refreshing for the other students to see.

Gracelyn and Sage passed by the tree on their way to Potions. Gracelyn smiled as she stared at James going over quidditch plans, Sirius bugging Remus while he was trying to read, and Peter digging through Remus's robes for chocolate.

She straightened up and hooked her arm with Sage's arm before looking away and walking to their class. She was glad Remus had his friends back and that was all she needed. Maybe she didn't need a boy to feel happy. Maybe she wanted to help people.

"I think I want to become a Healer," announced Gracelyn.

"Huh? What kind of Healer takes Astronomy?" retorted Sage.

Gracelyn rolled her eyes. "Well, I didn't exactly know last year. But, what do you think of me becoming a Healer?"

"You just thought of that as we walk through these bland corridors to Potions?"

"I had a lot on my mind. I like helping people. Yes, that's what I'll do," decided Gracelyn. "Do you have an idea in mind?"

Sage shrugged. "Doesn't really matter. My parents will probably push for me to become a stay-at-home wife to some man. I wouldn't surprised if I had an engagement party this summer."

Gracelyn frowned. "But that's not fair."

"Lots of Pure-blood families do that, Gracie, especially those who... No, never-mind."

"What?" poked Gracelyn.

Sage shook her head. "I can't elaborate more. It's much too dangerous. Just know that it's for the best."

"You won't be happy, Sage. I want you to be happy."

"I'm happy as long as you stay in my life, Gracie," reassured Sage.

"But I'm not a Pure-blood. I won't always be with you. If I was a Pure-blood - "

"Then you wouldn't be the Gracelyn I know. You wouldn't want to be a Pure-blood these days. It's not safe. It's not safe to be Muggle-born either. You should feel lucky to be a Half-blood," explained Sage.

"Why?"

Sage shook her head. "Let's just get to class."