Afterlife Chapter 3

"Are you alright, Lincoln?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Lincoln said, panting and gasping for breath as Lio helped him up to his feet. His face was battered and bruised and he had a black eye with a busted lip. There was even a little bit of Lincoln's blood on the grass. "Thanks for helping me out."

"Are you kidding me? I couldn't let those guys beat up on you. Fucking cowards' only spines come from the books they don't read."

"You stabbed one of the kids in the eye with a fork," Lincoln said, noticing that Lio still seemed pissed off even after the kids had run away. He assumed that was just adrenaline still running through his veins after the encounter.

"I had to do something. I can't fight and I had to do whatever it took to get those 下衆野郎 (assholes) off your back. I know it's extreme, but-,"

"What were you even doing here anyway?" Lincoln asked, "I thought you said you were going with Kat to the movies."

"I don't know what it was," Lio said, "but something told me to check on you. So I changed direction on my way to the movies and head to where you said you'd be."

"Why?" Lincoln asked.

"I don't know," Lio replied, walking alongside Lincoln as the twins head back to the house, "call it twin telepathy or a sixth sense or something, but something told me you were in danger."

"What about Kat?" Lincoln asked.

"I already texted her and explained the situation," Lio explained before lightheartedly chastising Lincoln, "for Speedwagon's sake, Lincoln, you just got jumped by three guys! Don't worry about my love life, tell me you're alright."

"I'm telling you, I'm fine," Lincoln said, spitting out blood, "I've taken my fair share of beat downs, this is nothing new."

"Dude, as soon as we get home, I'll get Lori to patch you up," Lio said before asking Lincoln "Why did those guys even jump you in the first place?"

"So remember that Ace Savvy convention?" Lincoln asked and Lio nodded his head. "Well a few guys were bitter that our sisters won the contest/movie cameo and decided to take it out on me."

"価値ないの腰抜け!" (Worthless cowards!) Lio swore in Japanese, clenching his fists in anger.

"It's fine," Lincoln insisted, "I'm okay now. Thanks again for helping me out."

"I'd sooner die than let something happen to you," Lio told him, patting Lincoln on the back.

"We might want to get out of here," Lincoln said, prompting Lio to ask "Why?"

"You heard what those guys said," Lincoln reminded him, "they said that they were coming back for payback."

"Let em' try it," Lio said, "I might not have my fork with me anymore, but I can still make those guys see eye to eye with me if you catch my drift."

"I've never seen you this angry before," Lincoln observed.

"Because they messed with you!" Lio pointed out, starting to tear up a little bit. "I thought they were going to kill you if I didn't do anything and I didn't want to... well... you know..."

"It's okay," Lincoln said, patting Lio on the back, "I'm okay now. Nothing happened to me."

"Yeah, good thing too," Lio nodded his head as the two continued walking through the streets.