Mood Swings

Ms. Shepard sat on her living room couch, the evening light slowly fading away. She looked down at her cellphone, the screen lighting up with notifications, all of them from Mrs. Hendrix. She saw her phone go off again, and she took a deep breath and raised it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Oh, thank goodness you picked up, Daphne. I've been worried sick about you! Where have you been? Why haven't you called me back?" Mrs. Hendrixe's worried voice rang through the speaker.

"I am.... so sorry, Iz. I've been in a rough place and I'm just not feeling like dealing with things, you know?"

"Well, I've been worried sick. I understand that things are difficult with your son, but I am here for you. John is here for you. We will do anything to make Gavin feel more comfortable in his new home."

"You know, I never had the chance to tell you what really happened with Gav. It wasn't just a fight. It wasn't even just this one time. His father had been abusing him, Iz. The neighbours heard this time and called the police. He's been charged with sexual assault and physical assault of  a minor and child in his care."

There was silence. "Oh, my god, Daph. That is just horrid."

Ms. Shepard became quiet again, worried that Gavin would overhear. "So that's left him with years worth of trauma. And he wasn't even talking to any of the CPS workers. He never once said a word to me when he saw me. It was that bad. So I apologize if I haven't been texting, and I know I should've called to let you and John know I wouldn't be joining you for dinner, but I..."

"No, no Daphne. Don't even think of worrying. I understand as a mother. It would feel like hell to see my kid go through that. You were caught up taking care of him and that's perfectly okay. Just please let me know if you need any help."

"Thank you, Iz."

"Has he been talking to you now?" Mrs. Hendrix asked.

"He has. It took the few weeks, but he slowly opened up. He's still shaken up. But he's really getting used to this new life. He agreed to go visist a psychiatrist, and apparently he talked a lot. Told this woman a lot about what happened to him. I've got him taking antidepressants as well, which they recommended."

"That's good. Has he been doing anything around the house, or is he staying in his room?"

"He's been eating dinners with me on the couch. We watch movies together, but that's really it. He likes to go to his room and sit by himself. I don't like to bother him much because it seems to help him cope. Oh, and he also likes to sit outside on the porch. He recently started doing that. Surely that must be good for him."

"Well, it is a Tuesday. If you were willing to bring him over for dinner, we'd love to have you both. Unless you don't think he's ready for that. It's totally fine. I can bring you some leftovers later on."

"I'll ask him.... it's most likely not the right time. But I'll let you know."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Gavin is coming over for supper!" shrieked Maggie, running around the kitchen.

Emmitt walked in, looking over at his mom. "Mom? Is this true?"

Mrs. Hendrix nodded, still focusing on washing the dishes. "Ms. Shepard as well. But yes, Gavin is joining her tonight. So that means we be extremely respectful and treat Gavin kindly. Maggie, don't ask too many questions please. It's been a hard time for Ms. Shepard and Gavin so we need to welcome them back into our home in the calmest way possible."

"What time are they coming?"

"Same time we always have dinner. Seven," Mrs. Hendrix answered. "Are you alright?"