Decision Made

After school, when Sofia's coach came, she got in sadly, and Amber and James could tell that something was bothering their younger sister.

"What's wrong, Sof?" James asked.

"Yeah, your ice-dancing show is in two days," Amber told her.

"You don't want to know," Sofia muttered.

"Are you sure?" Amber asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," Sofia snapped. "Everything is fine!"

But Amber and James were sure that something was bothering their sister.

"Something didn't happen with Hugo, right?" James asked. He sounded pretty protective there.

Hearing the tone of her brother's voice made Sofia finally give in. "Okay, I'm not excited about the show because of my costume," she admitted.

"What's wrong with your costume?" Amber asked.

"Gee, Amber, I don't know—maybe it's because it reveals too much," Sofia replied sarcastically. "I can't let Hugo see that much of my tummy!"

"Gosh, Amber, did you ever think about that?" James angrily asked his twin.

Amber was shaken by her brother and sister's anger, but she still didn't see the big deal. "Okay, when we get home, we'll take a sneak peek at how you look in your costume, and then we'll see how bad it is," she said.

"Deal," Sofia glared.

When the siblings got home, Sofia went straight to her room and put on the costume Amber had Madame Colette make.

"Please, Sofia, you gotta let us see how you look in that costume," Amber urged.

"I'm coming!" Sofia screamed through the door. "I'm just getting this tiara on!" Then she opened the door to reveal the costume Madame Colette made.

"Whoa," James gaped.

"See?" Amber asked. "It's jaw-dropping awesome. Besides, it's not even cold. In fact, you tolerate the cold so well that you don't even shiver a little."

"Amber, when the audience sees me in this costume, they'll think I'm crazy," Sofia frowned. "Besides, Mom and Dad's reputation will probably be ruined. The audience will wonder what kind of parent lets their child wear something like this as a preteen."

"I bet you didn't think of that, Amber," James snapped. But then he saw a butterfly come to Sofia. "What's a butterfly doing in your room, Sof?"

"Oh, I opened the window," Sofia said. "It must've flown in." The butterfly landed on her tummy. "Oh, that tickles."

"You see?" James chuckled. "That costume exposes too much of her most ticklish spot."

Miranda and Roland came along.

"What's going on over here?" Roland asked. But when he and Miranda saw Sofia in her costume, they were shocked.

"Sofia Margaret Balthazar Cordova, please tell me you're not going to let that boyfriend of yours see that much of your tummy," Miranda gasped. "Even your swimsuit doesn't expose that much."

"I tried to get Amber to realize how inappropriate a costume like this can be for my age, but she refused to listen," Sofia frowned.

"Amber Marie Winslow, what were you thinking, trying to make your sister wear a costume that reveals too much?" Roland scolded his older daughter. "Tell me: who's the one wearing a Jasmine costume in this play, you or Sofia?"

"Sofia is the one playing Jasmine," Amber gulped.

"Then why are you pushing her to wear a costume like this?" Roland asked.

"She's practically a teenager, and Jasmine wears a costume like that," Amber replied.

"Jasmine is about 16, Amber," Miranda frowned. She turned to Sofia and asked, "Sofia, where's your original costume design?"

"It's in here," Sofia said. She ran into her room and came out, showing her original costume design.

"Well, this one barely exposes your tummy, but it's definitely more appropriate," Roland said.

"Your father is right, dear," Miranda agreed. "You should wear this—it's much better than this one for you."

"Then I'll start making it," Sofia smiled.

Amber didn't think this was a good idea, but she had no choice but to give in. "Oh, fine—if you want to wear something off the script, Sofia, go right ahead," she told her sister.

Sofia turned her nose up at her sister and went back into her room. She got started on making her new costume. By the time she was finished, she was very proud. Not only did she make it herself, but it was more appropriate.