EIGHT

KAMDEN WAS WALKING through the downtown part of the Outer Banks

KAMDEN WAS WALKING through the downtown part of the Outer Banks. Her hair was dripping wet as she walked up from the beach. All the Pogues were more than bummed that the treasure wasn't there, therefore she was alone today. She gripped a plastic grocery bag in one hand and her surfboard was tucked under her other arm. Running errands for her mother after a morning surf was not a choice activity.

An outbreak of kids cheering turned her attention. She fastened her surfboard to the top of her car and then turned her attention back to the crowd. Kamden looked over and saw John B on a small red bike as he hit a chain tied across two poles and fly forward.

"JB!" Kamden called as she ran to him. "Dude, what the fuck was that?"

She kneeled down next to him. He looked over at her and gave a force smiled.

"Holy shit," Kamden said as she looked down at the bloodstain on his shirt. She pulled up the cloth to reveal a deep cut into his skin.

"Yeah, that's not ideal." He groaned as pain shot up his side.

"That's not good at all." Kamden stuttered as she helped him up. "We should, um, get you to a hospital."

"No! No hospitals."

"Okay." She said drawing out the 'y'.

She placed his arm around her shoulder and helped John B to her car. He immediately leaned his seat as far back as possible.

"Do you see a car, Kam? Like a cop SUV?"

Kamden laughed.

"What are you a fugitive now?" She asked.

"I'm serious, Kam."

She looked out her window and saw a white and blue SUV drive past her.

"Uh, yes." She said quickly. "There is a blue and white cop SUV."

"Do you see a guy with no neck?" John B questioned.

Kamden turned around and looked out her back windshield. She saw a cop and women in a black pantsuit looking around.

"There is a guy. He, in fact, does not have a neck. There's a woman with him."

"W-What are they doing?"

"They're, um," Kamden turned and looked out her window as she backed the car out.

"You know, what just go, please?"

"That-that's what I'm doing." She said as she switched gears.

John B lifted his seat up as Kamden pulled away from the bike wreck.

"Why are the cops after you?"

"It's probably better if you didn't know." He responded quickly

Kamden glared at her friend.