NINE

KAMDEN AND JOHN B ran off the boat as a man chased them

KAMDEN AND JOHN B ran off the boat as a man chased them. John B grabbed her hand as they ran through the crowd. Rain sprinkled over them as they ran off the dock. Kamden looked down at her sweat-soaked clothes.

"We're disgusting." She sighed.

"What?" John B said as he looked down.

"They will not let us into the archive looking like this."

"Why not?"

Kamden looked over at him.

"I promise you they will not. My dad used to make put on my 'Sunday best' every time we came to the mainland. This place is crawling with Kooks, JB."

John B sighed as he gave into Kamden's plan. They walked up to a fancy boutique.

"What about this store?" Kamden asked.

"Absolutely not." John B sighed as he started to walk away.

"Whoa, Sancho. I think we've arrived." Kamden said as she opened the door.

"Kam," John B whined as he walked into the store.

"Stop being a whiner." She said as she playfully slapped his arm.

"I've never seen you like this."

"Like what?" Kamden said as she looked at a price tag.

"All rich kid, daddy's little girl."

Kamden looked over at him.

"We're one a secret mission, JB. We must have covers." She put on a pair of sunglasses and slipped around a rack.

John B followed her and she popped out and attempted to scare him. He laughed as he took the sunglasses off her face. For the first time, he looked straight into her eyes. The milky brown contrasted her skin tone and made immensely beautiful. Kamden pulled away and she felt the tension growing.

"What about cashmere?" Kamden handed John B a sweater.

John B leaned forward and looked at the price tag.

"It's 190 dollars, Kam."

Kamden laughed.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll sugar mama ya." John B knitted his eyebrows. Kamden pulled out a credit card and waved it around his face. "I present to you the credit card of the one, the only Penelope Jacobsen."

John B mimicked a crowd roaring a Kamden tucked the card in her backpack. She turned to the next display.

"What about glasses?" She grabbed a round pair and put them on his face. "Little Clark Kent action."

John B objected as she placed the glasses on his face. Kamden talked over him.

"Can I help you?" An older man stepped beside the two.