Chapter Four: Preparing

X∷ꖎ's POV

The coal was soaked, previous dust and debri now black stains dark in my wet hair, water drizzled down the cave entrance, pooling at my feet as I took shelter, the think wolf skin coat only providing slight comfort to my aching body.
Resting my head against the cool stone behind me I surveyed the dark cave, the few vines and moss covered rocks the only colour to the grey landscape. Sorting my inventory I pushed myself up, dusting off what I could of the dirt. Raising my hood I stepped out into the cold rain, wind snagging at my coat, almost playfully.

Adjusting my sword I skilfully avoided a hidden route, remembering it as the one that tripped me earlier that day. The leaves underfoot crumpled sadly as the dirt dampened and turned to a sticky mud, quickly soaking my shoes. The sky was by no means dark, yet it still felt like something was building, as if it was somehow familiar. Despite the dismal weather I kept a slight smile firmly on my face, imagining the heat of the smelter when I place the freshly cut iron ore, currently sitting heavy in my inventory, on the scalding trays.
Brushing my unnatural black hair out if my eyes I entered the clearing, the torches lighting my nearby farms fighting the wind diligently. Stepping onto the spruce plank porch I slipped off my iron plaid boots, picking them up as I opened the door and stepped inside. Setting my gear down I made my way into the kitchen, throwing the furred coat over a nearby chair and hooking the scraps of armor on the life sized stand.

Moving to the smelter I lit the fire, the embers eating at the coal as I set down the various ores into the stone construction. Closing the hatch I stood up, surveying the room, my eyes landing on a leather book sitting on the nearby table.
Picking it up I laughed sadly, my throat closing in on itself in trepidation, it had been three months since I woke up and I still had nothing to go on about what had happened to me, every time I felt I was close I would wake up with a headache and missing a few hours of my day, honestly I wasn't sure why I was still looking, but something was important, I just knew it.

Setting the book back down I moved to the chest in the corner, glancing at the green gems set aside for tomorrow. With a village only fifteen minutes walk away I had tried to make weekly visits, the townsfolk had begun to recognise me, and the cartographer had even offered to help me with my memory dilemma. It wasn't perfect, but it was a start, besides, it had been fun to pull pranks on the village elders, helping the kids with the mischievous acts was almost nostalgic, a small part of me hoping I had been a prankster before whatever accident plagued my existence.

Stretching I ran a hand through my hair, the quickly drying coal dust falling from my locks, no time for self pity, I have a cake to bake. Humming silently I practically skipped over to thee stove, tripping over my own feet as I cheerily pulled out the ingredients, after all, the visit tomorrow wasn't just for measly shopping.
After a few hours and a pause to get the ore's out of the smelter, I stared at the blank cake, trying to figure out what decorations a cleric would enjoy, looking at the small decorative charms next to me my smile fell a little,
An edible replica of redstone dust was scattered across the bench, almost like... I shook my head, pondering why on earth I was thinking of a desert. Feeling a familiar tingle at the back of my mind I tried to shut down the train of thought as quickly as possible.
No time for stupid thoughts, enough procrastination time to get to work.

Author's note———

Hey guys, I am super sorry that this is such a short chapter and for my inactivity,
Recently I've had a few family issues come up and I've been struggling with a bit of art block, this chapter is acting more as a filler chapter, the next chapter is going to be much longer and is going to progress the plot quiet a lot,
Thank you all for being patient with me, I'll try my hardest to avoid future inactivity like this

(Also to everyone who's been coming up with theories in the comments or messaging me, a few of you are extremely close to the plot)