Home

"And the winner of the Sunshine National Female solo round ages 15-18 is Grace Andrews." I scream as loud as I can as the girls from the studio rush up to give me a hug. I'm shaking, I can't believe it. I slowly walk over to the announcer as I see Sasha, the only person in my age group that made me second guess on whether or not I was going to get this win. She is from BTSA's, Biltterman's Technical School Of The Arts, and my biggest enemy. She glares at me with the second place trophy in her hands.

They hand me the trophy, I smile as walk off the stage, freaking out. I did it! Mrs. Layla comes up and gives me a huge hug. Nivea comes up and hugs me too. She knows that this is a big deal for me. I smile knowing that I worked hard on this and I am so glad that all my hard work paid off. I walk back to our dressing room when I hear two of the studio girls inside. I would know those voices anywhere. I listen in on their conversation and instantly wish I hadn't.

"She's not even that good. Sasha's extensions were better." Tina?

"I agree, plus Sasha's switch splits were way higher and she had a better landing." Natasha? I glare at the floor. I thought they were my friends. I hear our studio director coming down the hall.

"All dancers from the Layla Geno's studio back to the dressing room please." She calls as I enter the room. I look at the two girls and I am sad to see that they are my two closest friends and that I had guessed right. Tina and Natasha. I walk over to my bag and put the trophy on the table.

"Grace you were so good!" Tina says walking up and giving me a hug. I force a smile as I thank her.

"You dance with such beauty!" Natasha adds on. I nod as Mrs. Layla our studio owner comes into the room.

"Congratulations Grace. I knew you could do it." Everyone smiles as they clap for me and I can tell that everyone seems to hate me. All I see is forced smiles and hatred in everyone's eyes.

"Thanks Mrs. Layla. But everyone did amazing!" I state trying to bring the attention off of me.

"Ok girls, tomorrow we celebrate!" I turn as my mother enters.

"I'm so proud of you!" My mom smiles and I thank her.

"Could we talk later?"

"Sure of course." That's all I say before mom starts undoing my hair and moves on to Nivea's when she is finished with mine, we get all packed up before leaving.

<>

"So what did you want to talk about?" Mom asks me when we are on our way to the airport to get home.

"I want to move."

"What?" Nivea looks at me shocked.

"All of the girls at the studio hate me mom! I heard Tina and Natasha talking about how I shouldn't have won!"

"But it is the summer before your senior year of high school!" Mom shouts as a crazed look creeps on her face.

"Mom, I don't care. I want to move. I need to make real friends and earn my way up to the top!"

"You did. You spent five out of seven nights at the studio practicing, since you were three!"