Chapter Six

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍 / 6 / 𝑅𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝐵𝒶𝓃𝑒 𝒫𝒶𝒸𝓀

 Taz went back to school after a few days of staying home, and collecting his thoughts. Nanook always came over at the end of the day with Pyro. Sometimes Shiro and her brothers Koda and Kiba would greet them as they dropped their pack mates off. Taz didn't mind. They were nice, and Pyro made Cadence even happier. When Cadence was happy, Taz was happy. Cadence was beyond relieved when Taz's mental and emotional condition improved in contrast to what he'd feared.

While in the hallway with Cadence during break, Taz caught a glimpse of Mikael. He had a hood pulled up over his head, broad shoulders hunched forwards. Strong and mixed emotions were radiating off of the wolf shifter in waves, and Taz doubted that the other noticed. As he and Cadence passed, he noticed two things.

Cadence tensed up, jaw clenched as he stared straight ahead. Mikael's head lifted slightly, as if sensing Taz and Cadence nearby, and Taz caught a glimpse of the wolf shifter's face. Mikael was pale, almost white as a sheet, and gaunt. Taz nearly tripped over his own tail as he looked behind him as he continued walking.

"Why are you looking back?" Cadence grumbled, eyeing Taz warily.

He looked sad, and sick. Taz frowned. I know that he hurt me and he made me sad, and you're mad at him for it. But I still don't like it when people feel sad. Cadence sighed, and stopped walking, leaning against the wall of the hallway and Taz spun around to mimic his movements. A small smile quirked Cadence's lips upwards at that.

"You're selfless, Taz." Cadence said quietly. "You're always thinking of others before yourself, and you're always considerate." He tilted his head at Taz. "But don't give the people who hurt you too many extra chances." Taz nodded. "I don't like him anymore." Cadence admitted with a sharp inhale. "He was fine before, I enjoyed hanging out around him. But, I can't shake off the fact that he hurt you, Taz."

I'm okay now. Taz signed, brow furrowing slightly.

"But what if he does it again?" Cadence pressed. Taz fell silent, fingers playing with each other. His tail flicked, the tip scratching against the choker around his neck. He shrugged, and leaned down to scratch at one of his ankles. The bandages that Trinity had wrapped around them were itchy, irritating his skin. But she told him that it would make the pain in his ankles go away, so he left them on.

"Is he okay?" Taz looked up as he heard Markus's voice, and perked up, waving excitedly. Markus snorted. "Seems like you're in a better mood." Taz nodded.

"He... his tail had been wrapping too tightly around his ankles." Cadence said carefully, quietly. Markus arched a brow, but nodded.

"Well, I was just passing by. Gotta get to class. You two should as well, if you don't want to be late." Markus added, and Cadence glanced at his watch, eyes widening.

"Shit! Thanks for reminding me. Taz,we have German let's go!" Taz stumbled in surprise when Cadence grabbed his wrist, pulling him down the hall. He turned, and waved to Markus, who shouted at him to watch where he was going, before grinning and waving back. Taz and Cadence barely made it to their classroom on time.

After school, Taz had dragged himself to the car park from the library after his free period to meet Cadence in the parking lot. He was already there, with Pyro and Nanook. Nanook gave a joyous shout and jumped up, hugging Taz around the legs. Taz picked her up, and she laughed, patting Taz's head as they headed over to the couple.

"Can Taz and Cadence come back home with us? I wanna show Taz what pack life is like." Nanook piped up from where she sat in the back of the car with Taz. Cadence and Pyro immediately rejected the idea simultaneously without hesitation. Nanook scowled, crossing her arms over her chest. "Why not? I can just ask Raven and Xena to use him as their test subjects for make up." Nanook grumbled, and Pyro cracked a smile. Taz handed Pyro his notebook, and she read the few sentences that he'd just scrawled on the paper, frowning.