Chapter Nine

~ A Fallen Angel ~

A boy who appeared to be sixteen swooped in front of them, his large angel-like wings blocking the doorway.

"No one passes unless you have a registration code!"

"And who are you now?" Henderson spat.

"Me? I am Masey White: and you will not pass-?!"

"Hey kid, you probably wanna move," Will added. He took out a pistol from his tuxedo pocket. "Or would you prefer this?"

"Wait, don't... don't hurt him," Red said quietly. She recognized him. She took a few steps forward and stood before Masey, who was three feet taller than her. "Were you experimented on too?"

Masey paused for a moment, but swiftly snapped back.

"Why would you want to know, girlie?" He asked.

"The wings: you were experimented on, weren't you?"

He rolled his eyes. Shrugged his shoulder as if it didn't even matter.

"Do you have a registration code?" Masey questioned, crossing his arms with a tap of his foot. "Because if you don't, you're not allowed in."

"Why not?" Mr. Henderson asked. He took out a slip of paper with ten numbers scrolled across it. "I mean, I have one. But why are people who don't have one aren't-"

"Hand me your code," Masey said. Then he mumbled "Let me scan it so I can open the doors and get inside. It's cold here."

"What was that?" Mr. Henderson wondered as he handed him the slip. "You have to scan it? But with wha-"

Masey's eyes lit up and turned to glitchy screens of logo as he looked at the paper's coding. Will flinched: Henderson blinked. Of course, it's not like William would've seen anything like this before. Like he said, Will was average. Not experimenting with monsters he made.

After analyzing the paper, he looked at Red and asked "Is this... person your dad?"

Red nodded.

"Yes. But... he's a man. Not a-"

Masey gave a bow of his head and announced to the two men: "You're in. Now get inside. I'm only allowed to hold the doors for a few seconds."

Mr. Henderson and William made their way inside. Red could hear the two men laughing and talking about the same stuff in the truck. She stayed behind with Masey. If he was an experiment, Red thought. Who was he? I never saw him at the lab, and that was the only place where people like me were... so-

SLAM!

The doors shut. Red jumped, but Masey set a pale hand on her back. She snapped her head towards him.

"Don't touch me there!" She suddenly shrieked. But she quickly recovered and muttered an apology. "Sorry, sorry. It's just... I have a problem there-"

"Show me then."

Red's eyes widened.

"I mean, you could already tell I'm an experiment. No one else did. So, what's the problem?"

Red looked around her to check if anyone was watching. She figured that if people saw what she was, her Dad and his friend would get in trouble and she'd be brought back to the lab or forced to stay here. When it seemed no soul was nearby except for Masey and Red, she decided to lift her shirt up.