Chapter 1

The stares were burning into the back of my head. 

I suppose I should've expected this. I mean, I was a new girl, and it was the middle of September. On top of that, I looked like the most stereotypical lesbian a preppy school like Delaware County High had probably seen in years, if ever. I looked down. I was wearing my favorite pair of vans, the black high tops, and ripped blue jeans. A muscle tank was showing underneath my black leather jacket, which I wore open. My hair was up in a high bun, showcasing my undercut, and I had my diamond stud earrings in.

Put me at the front of a gay pride parade.

I pushed open the double doors of my new school and looked around for the office. Finding it to my left, I casually strolled over, but before I could make it I was body blocked.

"Well hey there, new girl."

I rolled my eyes. Two minutes into my first day at a new school and some guy was already harassing me. I looked at him. To any other girl, he would've been quite a catch. Around six foot two, with brown hair and green eyes, this kid had the well-muscled, confident look of an athlete. Based on the way passing girls eyed him, it wasn't hard to assume that he was a pretty big deal at this school. And looking at his stupid smirk, I figured that he probably knew that all too well.

I looked at him, raising my eyebrow in a way that should've made it clear that I wasn't interested. "Can you move? I got shit to do." 

His smirk only widened. 

"Playing hard to get, are you?" he said. Leaning in closer, he whispered, "You'll come around. Girls like a winner, and that's exactly what I am."

I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest. Who did this dude think he was?

"I'd rather play for the other team," I said.

He gave me a confused look, but I didn't feel the need to elaborate. I pushed past him and opened the door to the office. There was a long desk to the left, leaving room for two or three people plus their work spaces and computers. On the opposite wall there was a door leading to the principals' offices and what looked like a conference room. The secretary sitting behind the desk eyed me as I approached her.

"What do you need, sweetie?" she said, with that familiar secretary friendliness.

"I'm the new girl. Sophia Miller."

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "Hello Sophia, and welcome to Delaware County High School! I'm the morning office secretary, Mrs. Heisenberg. But you can call me Mrs. H," she added with a wink.

I rolled my eyes internally. She was way too peppy for 7:30 in the morning. 

"Thanks," I said. "What do I need to do?"

She typed on her computer, pulling up what looked like my class schedule. She printed it off and handed it to me, along with a map of the school. I looked at my classes. English 11, Spanish IV, European History, and Pre-Calc, all before lunch? I let go a groan.  My day looked boring already and it hadn't even started.

My thoughts were interrupted by the secretary, who I decided to call Mrs. H, but only ironically.

"All of our new students have a buddy assigned to help them navigate the school on their first day," she said with a smile. I raised my eyebrow again. What was this, elementary school?

"Alyssa! Come here, please."

I looked up to see a tall girl with long brown hair and matching brown eyes walking over. I took some time to check her out. She was wearing tight ripped black jeans that hugged her legs, and a blue hoodie with the school's mascot, a stallion, on it. I couldn't help but notice that her jeans were cuffed, and she wore slip-on checkered vans. We made eye contact, and she smiled, revealing dazzling white teeth. I gave a slight smile in return. She was hot.