{14} New York

Charlotte's POV

As I rode the subway through the dark tunnel, I felt my mind wander. Although I'd only been in New York a week, I felt myself instantly fall in love with the city. I'd never actually been to any other big cities besides Miami and Seattle. Seattle. I could feel the familiar dull ache in my heart. Though a surgery had repaired my injured shoulder, nothing could fix a broken heart.

Lemon never wrote me back. I sighed, continuing to stare out the window into the darkness. I don't think I could ever get used to this. The tall buildings, bustling crowds, and thousands of restaurants. The subway came to an abrupt stop. "West 116th and Broadway," a female voice announced over the intercom. This was my stop.

As I made my way to the exit doors, I could feel the unwelcome stare of a 50 year-old man sitting across from me. That was something I didn't love about this place. Holding my duffel bag in one hand, I walked up the stairs and into the light of the city above. I looked up in delight at the clear skies above me, a rare occasion in a city like this. I checked my watch: 6 am.

Shoot! I was going to be late for my first team meeting. I knew I needed desperately to make a good impression on my teammates and coaches, and being late to my first practice was not the best way to accomplish this. I ran down the streets of New York City. Another thing about this place that I loved was nobody really cared what you did. Everybody had lives just as crazy and busy as yours, and a girl running down the sidewalk was the least of their problems. That was something I didn't miss about growing up in a smaller town.

Breathless, I finally arrived at the gates of Columbia University. It was even more stunning in person. The tall, marble buildings were reminiscent of Ancient Greece. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined attending Columbia. The day I was recruited to play softball at the prestigious college, I couldn't stop crying. I just wish my mom was there to see it.

With the help of financial aid, and my father's employment at a Miami law firm, I could actually afford to attend the university without being tremendously in debt. My father had even rented a small apartment in Manhattan for me to stay my first year instead of the student dorms. As much as I didn't want to admit it, my father had played a key part in all of this. Without my surgery, I wouldn't have been able to play softball again.

I glanced at the campus directory. I was terrible at directions, and the vastness of the university was definitely not helping. Suddenly, I felt a soft tap on my shoulder. A girl with bright red hair and blue eyes was grinning at me. She looked older, like she could be a junior or senior.

"You look like a softball player," she stated warmly. "You must be Charlotte."

"That's me," I said shyly, shaking her extended hand. "I think I'm lost."

The girl laughed. "I'm Sammy, and don't worry, I'm happy to escort you to your destination."

I was instantly taken aback by how friendly Sammy was. I expected all the people here to be pretentious or elitist, but I realized that many of these students were in the same position as me. Walking through Columbia, Sammy provided me with basic information, such as where the dining halls were and where to check-in as a new student.

"But I'm sure you'll be alright," she added. "You seem pretty tough for a freshman." I smiled graciously in response. "Okay, here it is!" she announced as we arrived at the softball field. "This is where we practice. I can show you where our official stadium is after practice if you want."

"That would be amazing!" I answered. After I thanked her, she ran to join a couple of her teammates who were already practicing on the field. For the first time in weeks, I felt at home on the softball field. It seemed to have that sort of effect on me. I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I turned around to be face-to-face with the woman responsible for my recruitment. She looked even more intimidating now, her face completely serious, and her mouth drawn out in a thin line.