{33} Fin

Lemon's POV

I saw her the moment I came down the stairs. I immediately recognized that wavy brown hair and those green eyes that had captivated me for years. Her smile instantly widened as she ran towards me, pulling me into the greatest hug of all time. I hugged her back, failing to contain my surprise as tears clouded my vision.

"You're in Washington," I said incredulously. "But I thought you were spending the holidays with your family."

"I'll go to Miami in a couple of days, I just had to see your face," Charlotte replied as she brushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "Don't worry, your parents are waiting for you at home. I asked them if I could meet you at the airport. Now, tell me everything."

We sat at an airport cafe. Despite my long flight, being with Charlotte filled me with newfound vigor. She listened intently as I recounted to her the things that had happened in the six months we were apart, her smile never leaving her face.

"That sounds incredible," Charlotte said in amazement. "So have you set an official date for your book to be published?"

"Yeah," I answered. "My sister's birthday, February 15th."

"Perfect choice," Charlotte replied, reaching over the table to grab my hand. "I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm so insanely proud of you, Lemon. Now, about this copy you promised me," she said, her eyes glinting mischievously. 

"About that, the book isn't completely ready yet and I want you to have the best version possible," I confessed. "But until then, I have something to keep you busy." 

I watched Charlotte's expression grow inquisitive as I rummaged through my bag. I pulled out a purple journal with the words "For Char" written over the cover in Sharpie.

"What's this?" she asked, perplexed.

"It's a project I was working on in France," I explained. "I'm giving you the only copy."

Charlotte carefully flipped the cover to the first page. "Out of My League," she read slowly.

"It recounts our story. The highs and the lows, the happiness and the heartbreak. I wrote it all down," I stated. "We've had a pretty crazy love story so far, unlike any other. I was wondering if you could fill in the parts I missed with your point of view."

I watched as Charlotte took in the gift in stunned silence, her eyes brimming with tears. "I don't know what to say," she whispered.  "All I know is that our story is far from over."

"I can't wait," I replied softly.

She perked up suddenly as if remembering something. "That reminds me, I have my own surprise in store for you." Charlotte extended her hand out to me. I took it instantly. "Follow me."

...

By the time we stood at the steps of the Museum of Pop Culture the sun had already begun to set, casting the city of Seattle in a crimson light.

I looked over at Charlotte who had become uncharacteristically shy. "Lemon, this is where I fell in love with you. I fell for your voice, your everlasting curiosity, and your unwavering optimism. You see the good in everyone and hold yourself to an even higher standard. You saw me, flaws and all, and chose to love me despite them. I can only hope that one day I'll earn you, but until then, all I can do is love you back."

Now it was my turn to hold back tears. Charlotte smiled softly in response. "Don't cry yet," she whispered. 

"Char-" I began.

"Let's go back to the car," she suggested. "This night is far from over."

We drove past fields, neighborhoods, and farms in comfortable silence. Every so often, Charlotte would look at me with an affectionate smile on her face, and I would smile back. Part of me wanted to live in this moment forever, holding hands as we drove through the darkening countryside.