Manchester, May 2011

Even waking up in Manchester feels utterly wrong

I immediately notice the tapping on the window as I open my eyes. Of course. This fucking city had to show itself from the best side on my first morning back. Already far more pissed of then I should be I crawl out of the sheets and pull back the curtains. I'm greeted with the same bleak view that I had loathed all those years ago. Heavy rain drops run down the window.

"It's only for a week", I mumble to myself while I wearily drag myself into the bathroom. Its a pitiful look in the mirror. My hair looks like a dead animal someone has stuck on my head and deep dark circles under my eyes testify to the sleepless night. Every time my eyes had finally closed, I was haunted by images I'd rather forget. So I decided not to sleep at all and rather drink. My head felt ten times bigger than it was and even the dim light in the bathroom hurts my eyes. Coming back really always is a pleasure.

And everytime back I seem to make the same mistakes. I brush my teeth to get the disgusting taste of too much red wine out of my mouth and wash my face to wake myself up. Thank god I had thought about bringing paracetamol. While I swallow the pills I walk back into the hotel room and grab my phone. Two missed calls and four messages already.

8.13

Where are you?

9.02

Liz, are you coming? I really need you here!

9.46

Pick up your fuckin phone!

10.12

I'm going to kill you!

Fuck. I start rummaging through my full suitcase. Trousers, blouses and dresses fly through the room before I find something that looks good enough for a fitting in a fancy bridal shop. Why the hell had my crazy sister to schedule her appointment so early in the morning? A second look on my phone tells me that its almost eleven o'clock. Well, that explains a lot.

A loud knock on the door pulls me out of my thoughts immediately.

"Mom!"

Of course. I jump over to the door, one leg in my trousers and open it. A whirlwind of auburn hair runs past me and underneath the mob of curls my daughter looks at me frustrated.

"We are so late, Mom, how can you not be ready? Hurry up, aunt D. has already called me and I think she's only a few minutes away from the breakdown of the century!" Confused I look at her.

"Have you also overslept?" I shouldn't be surprised really. My girl, indeed. She shrugs her shoulders and urges me to hurry again.

"Did you not hear me? Breakdown of the century!"

"Penny, calm down", I say and button up my blouse. "You really don't know your aunt well if you think being mad at us is anything more than an excuse to relief wedding stress."

"And who's fault is it that I don't know her that well?", she mumbles as I walk into the bathroom, but I can still hear her. I sigh. She's a teenager, I say to myself. Patience. I put perfume on and do my make up as quickly as I can. All of my sisters fancy friends will be there, I'm sure of it and she would get even more angry if I would not look presentable.

"Mom!"

"A minute!" I yell back and roll my eyes. Patience, fucking patience. Penny awaits me impatient, holding my bag and my trenchcoat. She points at the empty bottle of wine next to the bed.

"Have you been drinking?"

"None of your business young lady." I put on my jacket and coordinate her out of the room. The sooner we get this whole charade over, the better.

And...that's a wrap for now!

In case you notice any spelling mistakes, I'm very sorry but English is not my first language. I'll try my best! Leave your opinion if you want to and hopefully see you (and maybe an old friend?) in the next chapter!